Jewel Cichlids

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
sandnuka said:
Well I need a lil' more infor... like how many of what kinds of cichlids are in the tank... how big is the tank.... what is the temp... and water parameters.... all that stuff is important if you want them to do the dirty dance. I also like to do the whole multiple thing... 2-3 females for every male...

The red one could be just excited there is someone in the tank.... even if it was the same or opposite sex, my guys used to get red with aggression displays not just breeding... It may pass after a night with the lights off.
Jewel cichlids are a problem fish. Much like a bumblebee cichlid. Nothing good can come from them, unless you build a tank specifically around them. Also I don't recommend mixing lower ph fish with Africans. You're just asking for a compromised immune system from stress.

sandnuka

Cory said:
Also I don't recommend mixing lower ph fish with Africans. You're just asking for a compromised immune system from stress.
Arent jewels africans? but they are lower PH africans.... Like the Talapia butterkoiferi.... I had my jewels in with convict/dwarf tank.... until I decided to go rift lake... then they hung out in higher PH until I gave them to sidekicking :)

Billiethekid

so your always asking my water parameters and i finally got it tested and remembered the stats
PH- roughly 7.3
NO2- 0
NO3- >20
Water Hardness- >25
Alkalinity- somewhere between 180 and 300

baglel10

my guy is super relaxed when iput my han in the tank to cleen he swims right up to it looks at and swims away bring my hand close he stay all others run lol (sounds like a scary movie) :king:

sandnuka

Nothin more than what is listed in the thread already :) .... actually gave up the jewels.... I became obsessed with tropheus. and The two wouldnt make it in a tank together..... so gave them to sidekicking.... se there your fav. fish.. good choice, great personality, and a nice small group of them in a 29 gallon is super fun to watch.

Billiethekid

so as those who have red this know i have some jewels in with some zebras and thts not the reason for post but just to bring it all back...
so i went on vacation and left feedin my fish to someone (not a fish person either >.< long story short i only lost a fish and my friends tank lost all 5 goldies hed spent time picking out) but anyways back to the point when i left i had a dominant jewel (the First one and not the largest) itd been same story of who was where on peckin order and jewels and zebras didnt bother each other...
I get back and my "dominant" Jewel hides in a cave (not small inside but small entrance) and has been all red since ive returned and doesnt leave it... the larger one has increased its aggression to the third and the Gresheki, but on top of tht the one in the cave allows NOTHING in it... not the cat/eel/zebras or anything and is just red as can be... doesnt even leave cave to eat waits for food to float its way then pokes out and eats then dissapears...
any ideas?? cause im confused to hell about wtf happened in the 12day period i was gone...

sandnuka

I dont think this is a bad thing billie.... Think he is guarding eggs! or just found a territory that he wants to spawn in.... Thats exactly the way all my cichlids acted when guarding. The way to find out for sure is try to reach in the cave slowly, if he attacks your hand most likely theres eggs in there... well, or you could just look in the cave ;)

For all the jewel guys out there, I just found out there are six different jewel variations... some are super red, in my opinion one of the best lookin cichlids around... then the more common ones are more dull in color... Just thought i would share that cause I went to a friends place and saw his breedin pair of jewels, they were expensive, and STUNNING!

Billiethekid

well i stuck my hand in near cave and it kinda looked at me like WTF... so i moved one of the pot fragments and it came out and by moving it i could see inside and there was notin but a nice dug out circle and once i put it back and closed lid another jewel (the smallest) swam by and the one i had just scared out wanted notin to do with em, he flared his fins and turned and swam back into the cave and returned to the normal peepin from under the fragment i moved... so idk.. but as it returned it proceeded to chase the 4 zebras tht had suddenly flocked in..

bakersk8er163

baglel10 said:
my guy is super relaxed when iput my han in the tank to cleen he swims right up to it looks at and swims away bring my hand close he stay all others run lol (sounds like a scary movie) :king:
it's cause he's a hungry little food mongral

Billiethekid

So Old Thread New news... I have a Pair of Jewels Now Watching their eggs on some clay pots in my Tank... One i had for a while and the other i got from Icer711 back in September (the larger one) i saw him dancing for her and thought ehh not much will happen its a tank full of fish.. Wrong.. i have about idk... 100 eggs and the partents are gaurding tht whole section of tank (1/3 patitioned off partially by a flat rock..) from all the other fish...

Billiethekid

And theres the Eggs.. well half of em... they disappear into the shadows further... this is after they spawned last night..

And here are the parents (sorry about the specs in the picture, they are air bubbles from my powerhead right to the left of this)

Father left Mother right (One that I got from Icer711)

finsandfeathers

When I first raised jewels fortunately had all males and they lived with some misc africans with no problems. Then eventually found some girls for the boys, seperated them out into tanks for pairs found they weren't really interested in breeding once they didn't have anyone to strut for so used OB easthraes(?) as dithers which worked well. Growing them out did the overcrowding scene to help with aggression issues.

In the trio scene trying to get pairs they did become murderers, when in large groups I'd pull what was acting like pairs before the serial killing began.

With them in with africans tried to be sure there weren't any with "red/reddish" colorations which helped with aggression towards them.

JME

me

Hey all, I kept jewels long ago, I had great success breeding a pair in a remarkably small setup. Not saying I recommend it, just sayin in my case it worked. Fern has a bunch of Jewels though, and I suspect knowledge to go along with it. I thought my jewels of long ago were CA cichlids till fern and some others on COV corrected me :oops: