Its here...My new bichir(s) 2.0

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
After the loss of my lower jaw koliba, it was a get back on the horse moment and I decided to just stick with upper jaw bichirs and get another, well two others...

Both are 8" and very active. This was taken minutes after putting them into the QT 75g so color is still off and a bit stressed still.

Buettikofri

palmas, palmas

dwarfpike

Good job getting back on it so soon. It took me a lot longer than that when I had my moment. I like the pattern on the palmas, but is that just the stress pattern?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
That is the normal palmas palmas patterning. You see a faint hint of the same pattern in the palmas Buettikofri. I had actually read something that certain ones thought that the palmas palmas was thought to be a 'brown Buettikofri'... oh well the fun of trying to categorize fish! It is stressed and a bit pale but the dark bars are normal

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lloyd378 said:
Where are they from?

Answers:
1. Well you see Lloyd when a boy bichir likes a girl bichir....

2. Africa (They are wild caught)

3. Aquatic Day Care out of Salem Oregon

Madness

Staff member
An easy way to tell if it is a Butti, is the Butti is also known as the gold dust, do to the gold dust all over the head

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
That's a pretty cool website. I just checked it out...... Lots of oddballs I'd like if cash wasn't an issue

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered my weeksii from them a few years back but found them through ebay. Was very happy with the fish. I like the fact i can get the bichir a bit bigger than most other places. Jason is a nice guy to deal with and i have been very happy with the fish quality.

With the new tank coming in soon, i decided i would add just a couple low impact fish and staying away from the lower jaw types, I feel like I can keep the hoplo cat and pleco. When i got the koliba lap my plan was to rehome them to avoid issues with the size and appetite of the big guy, but no longer an issue. I am sticking to the upper jaw types and this should work out well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Felt bad since I could not get that great of pics, so a couple new shots for you guys

Gold dust is a total camera hog so no picture issues

The palmas palmas is pretty elusive...

Now thats better! That is what a 'new fish' post should be like.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good! Nice little replacements I like the palmas palmas

Betty

Staff member
Very nice. I hope these don't try to get out and explore the rest of the room!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The palmas palmas really is turning out nice. I think if I get it on darker substrate it will 'pop' some more.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Betty said:
Very nice. I hope these don't try to get out and explore the rest of the room!
lol, I can laugh about it now. But the tank tops are weighted down now! Not taking a risk!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got my final bichir yesterday. Another one of the larger growing upper jaws, a teugelsi

This is the new trio together.
Palmas, Palmas is biggest, Gold Dust second biggest and the new teug the smallest but all look pretty close in size. All pretty close to the 8" mark.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I really was happy with my weeksii and delhezi in the 210g and would have left them be but with my 8' tank on order I decided to add a couple. Originally it was going to just be the koliba lap and that was it but after the jump. I rethought it an decided on a couple more but smaller ones. So now i will have five... Lol. This was the same number I had when i first got into bichirs only difference is I bought bigger this time.

Hey madness, still have the gold dust? Did it ever grow? That thing was a mean little fish. My new GD is super mellow.