Is this fin rot?? Or something else? Please help!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
My boyfriends green terrors recently started looking like their fins were shredded and beleived it to just be a dominant fish in the tank nipping. But it has gotten worse. Here is a picture of the worst one. He was told it's possibly fin rot but melafix doesn't seem to be helping any. He's had this little guys since they were little babies. Any advice or input would be appreciated!

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Now the pleco in the tank has white spots that make his top fin seem see through almost. We need some help!! Please someone. Melafix isn't working. What do we do??

censeoflife

Looks like a bit o nipping to me, The fuzzy white on the fins like that is usually a scab if it is nipping. You have to watch to be sure, see if a few or one culprit is nipping the community.

Aquarium salt helps with healing. : )

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
That's what we thought until the pleco got the spots. They are almost eating away at his top fin. Like where the white is it's turning his fin transparent. We haven't even seen any chasing let alone nipping going on. They really get along well. ALOT better than his african cichlid tank lol. I took a picture of the pleco's fin hoping it will help determine something. It's taken with my phone though cause I don't have my camera with me today. Will post the picture soon.

censeoflife

Looks about right for chomp holes to me. He's in their territory at night, I have never seen my sail fin get hit that bad and that many times though, poor guy.

If you could give him a brake some where to recover, 2-3 weeks they usually start looking new again.

P.s. yep same thing. : )

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
He's about 12+". No where really for him to go lol I'll tell my boyfriend to start treating with stresscoat instead of the melafix and see if that helps any.

lilfishie

If you dont see the stresscoat working, I would do a water change and start treating with Maracyn-two to fight any bacterial infection the fish might have gotten from either fin rot or from being nipped by others. If it is being nipped by another fish, one or the other needs to be removed.