Is it illigal to own piranha in wa state?

Pleco_Party

I was reading an article dated back in 07' and they said it was illegal to own piranha in Wa state. Is that still true? And what other fish are illegal here? (There is something enticing about owning illegal fish...just sayin)

hbluehunter

Yes they are illegal here, but if you REALLY want some like Spy said you can always make a couple hour trip down south and grab some.. :). Or just keep your eye's on craigslist, I see them pop up time to time.. I grabbed 4 freebee's of there once.. I don't keep P's so I just kicked them down to a buddy of mine.. the chick said to come and get them or she was flushing them, that was the only reason I grabbed them.. :(

Gryphon

I've always been told their illegal due to people dumping them when they tired of them or can't keep them anymore. I know back in Ohio, and in other states there have been instances were people have caught them out of lakes and reservoirs while fishing.

JimA

Kind of long, but true and kind of funny story.

I had a 7" piranha named Perry the piranha back in the 80s seems so long ago :cry: Anyway he was in a 60 gallon tank, my buddies and I would get baked :punk: and watch it devour mice, literally he would shred them to psc. Well I had a kegger one night and somebody I think poured beer in the tank and I found him dead the next day, pretty bummed.

I decided to freeze him and take him to the Jr high that had a taxidermy class, the teacher said they would try and stuff him. About a month or two later I went to check on him turned out he did get stuffed but also got stolen by some kid, no big deal wasn't to worried.
I went into the Navy that following year. About two years later I was back on leave and staying at my best friend house for the month. When I got there he said he had something to show me. Well he brings out Perry the piranha stuffed and mounted to a board in perfect condition. Guess he dated some chick who's brother was the one that stole the fish. When Jeff saw it he knew it was my fish and took it from him, not to many stuffed piranhas hanging out in Aberdeen.

I kept Perry stuffed on a board for the next 18 plus years or so, I ended up running a shipping dock in Dutch Hbr Alaska, while there we rescued a big 200Lb English Mastiff from a crappy owner. Well some how Perry stuffed on the board got set on the floor, I think the wife was cleaning out a back room according to her. Well Chester the molester the Mastiff chewed up and ate most of Perry the piranha, all that was left of poor Perry was a bit of fin and his glass eye which I still have somewhere.

Anyway that's was the perils of Perry the piranha. :D I also have a tale of a giant King crab I had hanging on a board that Chester ate also, but that's another story.

Think I should write a children's book??

Mikey

Good idea on the children's book haha. Perry the piranha sounds like he's lived on even after his death though so that's good :)

I'd love to get a group of red bellies. I wonder where I can besides Oregon