Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Just saw this one on the news tonight:

Invasive zebra mussels found in Marimo moss balls​

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Another source: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/mar/04/invasive-zebra-mussels-found-in-coeur-dalene-petco/

This article had a link to an article from Julian Olden, a professor in the School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences at the University of Washington

Was in interesting read, in the article it mentions that from a questionnaire they ‘found 6.4% of aquarists had released live fish’

Betty

Staff member
I read about this yesterday. Let's hope none of these end up in our waterways.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Recently we had to have work done on our drain because the gas company when installing a new meter ran the gas line through our drain pipe. We thought it was a clog from tree roots or something like that but I was thinking of the reputation of these mussels of clogging up water pipes.
6478F292-D650-4ED8-A803-A6DDFFED8FBC.jpeg
Thats why the disposal instructions are so detailed. Imagine sending these down your drain and have them establish a home there!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just got an email from Petco about proper disposal

Dear valued Petco aquatics customer,​
At Petco, we’re committed to supporting the health and wellness of pets, people and our planet.

We were recently approached by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife regarding an investigation into a potential link between Marimo aquarium moss balls and an invasive species of wild zebra mussels. To aid in the investigation and prevent potential spread, we immediately paused the sale of all Marimo aquarium moss balls. We are working closely with regulatory authorities, Petco vendors and our own veterinary staff on appropriate next steps, including proper handling and disposal of any affected product.

If you have Marimo moss balls at home, please safely and responsibly dispose of them by following these steps from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. If you purchased Marimo moss balls from Petco in the last 30 days, follow these steps and then bring your receipt to a Petco location to receive a full refund.​
How to responsibly dispose of Marimo moss balls:​

Insert the moss balls in a plastic bag and place the bag in the freezer for at least 24 hours. Then, dispose of them in the trash. OR place the moss balls in boiling water for at least one full minute. Then, dispose of them in the trash.​
Place any aquarium fish and/or plants in a different container. Dispose of the water in a sink or toilet (all municipal wastewater is treated to kill all pathogens, and septic tanks are fully self-contained underground).​
Carefully use water that has a temperature of 140 degrees to flush and coat the tank, and the surfaces of all aquarium accessories. Changing the water within a week and continuing to monitor the tank for unusual aquatic growth is recommended.​

a.
If you don’t have access to high temperature water: a 1/3 cup of unscented household bleach per gallon of water can be used as a disinfectant. Allow the aquarium, substrate, rocks, décor and filter media to soak in the bleach water solution 10-15 minutes. Then, thoroughly rinse off all items prior to resetting up the aquarium. Dispose of the previously used filter media and replace with new media. Finish by neutralizing any residual chlorine with a dechlorinating product prior to reintroducing aquatic life.​
b.
If you can’t fully dewater/decontaminate extremely large aquariums: change the water frequently and continue monitoring the tank for any unusual aquatic growth.​
The following products feature Marimo moss balls:​

Plant-Ball-Japanese-Marimo​
Betta Buddy Marimo Ball​
Betta Buddy Baby Marimo Ball​
Moss-Asst Shrimp Buddies​
9X4ttyIrz97hp0PyZD2PTRwrtbjJfqIsDSBAT2BIV6I7nuzoCLIPQFWHD1julnnEupc62HRibpKuD3IIzV7ihIx0xz3mo_pTZmFl6fYUrPwbzlFikeNocXkg6xd_2i-0Vzk=s0-d-e1-ft

Thank you for supporting the health and wellness of pets, people and our planet. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,
Your Petco team​

hyp3rcrav3

Just saw this one on the news tonight:

Invasive zebra mussels found in Marimo moss balls​

Hell.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I wonder how far back in time this goes. I received 3-4 of these free with an aquarium I acquired recently. I do know the tank was up and running for about a year. I have not seen any unwelcomed aquatic life though. Fingers crossed.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it was interesting that the items were pulled from Petco and Petsmart shelves but the one who seems to be getting the most attention about it is Petco and they sent out emails to customers on proper disposal. Ive heard nothing from Petsmart or received any emails even acknowledging this. I believe the supplier in question provided product for both companies.