Impulse buy - Gymnotus javari

FishBeast

Macana knife, one of many similarly patterned fish from South America. Picked it up from The Glass Box in Port Orchard. New store, very nice owners with interesting selections including Fahaka puffer! Anyway I have this fish solo in a 120. Eating bloodworms and frozen krill. They are weakly bioelectric like all gymnotids.
BA257E23-39EB-4D65-BDEA-5CF4315783DD.jpeg 4A2D525E-0D2F-4B44-907F-A25D65F37D6A.jpeg

Madness

Staff member
Macana knife, one of many similarly patterned fish from South America. Picked it up from The Glass Box in Port Orchard. New store, very nice owners with interesting selections including Fahaka puffer! Anyway I have this fish solo in a 120. Eating bloodworms and frozen krill. They are weakly bioelectric like all gymnotids.
View attachment 7261 View attachment 7262

That's a sweet looking fish

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Crazy looking knife!

looks like a striped kuhli loach spawned with a brown ghost knife. Haha

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Hahaha how does one really quit this hobby? :rofl

I did it twice, for purely practical reasons. Moved from a little place on the CT coastline to a 17-acre island two miles off the coast. No electricity, no hot water, no neighbors. Not a good place for fishes; great place for girlfriends.

Thimble_Isl_Aerial_R1.jpg

Thence to LA; didn't plan to stay for more than a few yers; why bother with a fish room? Finally moved to Seattle in 1987, and a fish room was high on the list.

FishBeast

Btw where in PO is the new fish store ?
1341 Bay St Unit C, Port Orchard, WA 98366 They have pretty interesting stock. Not many monsters but some rare fish (for me anyway) like dermogenys, trichopsis, a couple of fahakas and another one of these Gymnotus javari. They have senegal and ornates too (babies)

FishBeast

I did it twice, for purely practical reasons. Moved from a little place on the CT coastline to a 17-acre island two miles off the coast. No electricity, no hot water, no neighbors. Not a good place for fishes; great place for girlfriends.

View attachment 7269

Thence to LA; didn't plan to stay for more than a few yers; why bother with a fish room? Finally moved to Seattle in 1987, and a fish room was high on the list.
How I’d love to live on an island especially these days! And don’t be so modest, you have more than a fish room haha more like a fish palace

sir_keith

Legendary Member
How I’d love to live on an island especially these days! And don’t be so modest, you have more than a fish room haha more like a fish palace

Thanks for the kind words. I've had bigger fish rooms in the past, and many more tanks, but this is just right for me now, enough space to have a reasonable collection, but not so many tanks that maintenance is a chore. Well, almost enough space: it always seems like I am just one tank short, and I would love to have a 240! :rofl

FishBeast

Thanks for the kind words. I've had bigger fish rooms in the past, and many more tanks, but this is just right for me now, enough space to have a reasonable collection, but not so many tanks that maintenance is a chore. Well, almost enough space: it always seems like I am just one tank short, and I would love to have a 240! :rofl
I know that “just one more tank” feeling all too well :D