If you had to downsize and could only keep one tank, what would it be?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
If you had to downsize and could only keep one tank, what would it be?

Im not in that situation but was just trying to start up a subject to talk about.

For me I would keep my 40B set up with my hairy puffer. When I first got him my wife thought it was ugly and lacked any color. Now Scruffy has won her heart with his huge personality. While not as interactive as Porkchop my Pearsei, this guy has a huge personality wrapped up in a little package.

What would you do?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I'd keep my 48x15x20. And I'd stock it with my female red isletas

But I also like my 125 with biggie smalls

Hard call, either the 125 with my severums and, geophagus redhead tapajos, or it's mirrored in contrast tank 125 fully planted out of control jungle tank.

A

Anonymous

My 125gal American cichlid tank. It's a main attraction in my house. Main floor near nook area and kitchen and across family room in our view. Or as you walk in through formal dining room and formal living room, first you see that attracts your eyes. Then people approach the tank. All the attention is in front of them cause most of buggers are begging for food. But of course I tell people they are on a feeding schedule.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I figure if I had to downsize it would be because something bad happened, and I thought my 210g would be the one to go. Thats why I thought I would end up with my 40B.

Last year when the business I worked for was closing its doors i had bought an in case tank. I thought I would want to stay in the hobby but may have to sell the big tank so I bought my 72g bowfront. Work came again soon after so no need to sell anything and ended up with another tank at that point.

It's a toss up between my 55 gallon community tank, and the 36 bowfront fireplace tank... I'd say I'd end up keeping the 55 gallon community tank. It was my first tank I did by myself, ever since I moved here to Bremerton.

A

Anonymous

Definitely my 140. Same stock, same plants. 7 foot of detail and activity. This one tank can keep me pulled into the hobby for a life time :D

KaraWolf

I'd finish building my 125 and stock it with 5-7 red tailed sharks; see if I can figure out how to breed them without hormones. Otherwise id stick to my 55 and fully stock it (finally)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I thought it might be interesting to see thoughts on this topic years later... if I had to downsize to just one tank (my choices are a 300, two 90’s, two 65B, a 46 bowfront and a 30 gallon) it would be a solo 90. Likely planted and my keeper would still be my hairy puffer. Though it would be tempting to keep the 46 gallon bowfront planted community or a solo red devil male in a 90. After all these years my hairy puffer still remains my favorite fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I thought it might be interesting to see thoughts on this topic years later... if I had to downsize to just one tank (my choices are a 300, two 90’s, two 65B, a 46 bowfront and a 30 gallon) it would be a solo 90. Likely planted and my keeper would still be my hairy puffer. Though it would be tempting to keep the 46 gallon bowfront planted community or a solo red devil male in a 90. After all these years my hairy puffer still remains my favorite fish.
Had to quote myself and change my answer since I lost my hairy puffer after 6 years, 10 months with me.

I guess my new answer would be to keep a 90 gallon along with my Petsmart red devil.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
As the years go by in the hobby and fish have came and gone in the fishroom, I ask this question again: If you had to downsize and could only keep one tank, what would it be?

Well it would be a tough choice with two answers, if the downsize from 7 down to 1 tank was about not having enough time for the hobby, then I would say I would keep my newly set up 90 gallon community tank. The activity level, color and interest really has made this tank fun.

If the downsizing was another reason then for sure keep the 300, why? Because of my “little” pearsei growing out. I miss having a big, friendly fish in the 300 and since Ive raised this little guy from a little inch long fish, I really have found that special ‘wet pet’ replacement. Cant wait to move the little guy into the tank.

So how about you guys? Changes to what you would have kept some years ago?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I currently like all of my tanks, but would like to lower the maintenance by having fewer tanks….

The problem is, I don’t want to get rid of most of my fish:

Chopping block fish would only be…

Male red devil
Female chanco
Male gold saum ( headed to madness’ place at some point).

I do plan to get rid of my 125g in the garage, but right now it is housing a couple of fish I’d like to keep. So if I had to get rid of my tanks, I’d get rid of the 220g, 180g, 125g, 75gx 3, 40g.

And I’d keep my custom 65 gallon acrylic tank I’ve had since my 16th birthday which has been with me throughout highschool, all of college, a few houses after college, and now in my bedroom.

This tank is 48" long by 15” wide, by 21” tall. Just one of those tanks that is tried and true. I’m still using the original green heater from jaeger in it!

Right now it’s housing 2 catfish, 1 delhizhi Bichir, and two plecos