ID me plz

Spyral

I bought these.. WHAT ARE THEY?

I thought Kevin said this was a Kenyan Tree
The coral on the right is what I am asking about.

IMG00217-20101011-1923.jpg

This, neither of us knew, but at night the ends of the "fingers" open up some kind of tentacled polyp
The coral to the right is what I am asking about.

IMG00218-20101011-1923.jpg

lilfishie

This first pic could be a kenya tree, but looks like a pink Sinularia to me.

IMG00217-20101011-1923.jpg

This one, I dont know, but I will see if I can find out. Is it a soft coral? Leather like?

IMG00218-20101011-1923.jpg
[/quote]

lilfishie

Does it have individual polyps that extend from each of the bumps on the stalks? Did they tell you anything about feeding it?

Spyral

No, one big one on the end of each stalk. I will go ahead and turn on the moonlight and kill the daylights. Once it opens I will snap a pic. Also, the stalks stick straight up when the ends open up.

Spyral

Here is the unknown coral with it's ends opened and fingers straightened out. It only does this once the moonlight has been on for a little bit.

excuse the crappy pics..lol

IMG00220-20101011-2332.jpg

IMG00221-20101011-2333.jpg

IMG00222-20101011-2333.jpg

Spyral

Seems they need supplemental feeding..good to know! Also looks like I put it in the right spot, mid to high light, mid flow. Should prosper with feeding. Interesting that it only opens under moonlight.

Spyral

Isaurus spp., also known as Tube Zoanthids, and Snake Polyps. There are five known described species: I. tuberculatus, I. cliftoni, I. duchassaingi, I. gelatinosus, and I. maculatus. Isaurus tuberculatus is found in a circumtropical range and is the Isaurus species most commonly seen both in the wild and collected for the aquarium trade. Isaurus spp. have elongate stalks with tubercles (the bumps on the stalks) and the columns are typically oriented so that the oral openings face downward. The tentacles are normally withdrawn into the oral opening during the day, appearing as a small pinhole, but expond fully at night for this nocturnal Zoanthid hexacorallian to feed on zooplankton. Although these corals contain zooxanthellae, their normal habitat is low light under rocks and in shaded tidepools, and to thrive and multiply, they will requrie nightly planktonic feedings. Isaurus does not need to be fed to be maintained in captivity, but regular feeding will cause the polyps to multiply. Foods for Isaurus spp would include Daphnia, Cyclops/Cyclopeze (copepods), and freshly-hatched and gut-loaded brine shrimp nauplii, keeping in mind that they are ncturnal feeders.

They are mostly found (uncommonly) in shallow water under rocks or in shaded areas in the wild, where the individual tubes may reach 3 or 4 inches. Large specimens usually retail around $35 USD. Unusual find in most LFS though; not very colorful, but very unusual specimens.