ID? Good? Bad?

dondud

ID? Good? Bad?

BRISTLEWORM? just saw it today. prolly saw about 6 inches of it and assuming its much longer than that.
So i had my scopas tang died. He was healthy and eating. He dissappeared suddenly and found him like 4-5 days later (almost nothing left) at the bottom of the rock. Think this guy could be the cause?

lilfishie

Re: ID? Good? Bad?

Not the reason the tang died. They are typically just clean up. A healthy fish will not get caught by a bristle worm. Large starfish or an anemone, yeah, but not a bristle worm that small.

Check your water parameters, and what size tank is it? Smaller than a 50 gal, the tang could have been stressed out enough to die.

lilfishie

LOL!!!

you can if you want. you cant pet them, or hold them. They can get really big. few feet long. I believe there is a picture of one at 6'+.

Br

That's a scary looking worm... I don't think I want to keep that thing in my tank especially I always sticking my hands in there cleaning, feeding my fish and corals...I do like bristal stars though..... BTW...sorry to know about your tang... ups and downs, it's a nature of having a saltwater tank...

Fish Addict

In my opinion I would say catch any and all bristle worms over ~4" and sell them.... There is a market and people do buy them

lilfishie

aquaman95 said:
Any idea on care anybody?
Salinity 1.025
healthy water parameters
pH 8.2
Temp 73-80 deg.
Live rock
Live sand
feed it raw shrimp.
It will actually come out when you feed it. I have one in my pico. I have a bunch of the mini brittle stars too.

I dont think there is really a market for these worms since most people that find them toss them out and they are hitchikers in live rock. You get a coral on a piece of rock, your probably going to get one.

lilfishie

If you want to catch it, get a small net, put some food in it and set it flat down in the sand with the food between the net and the sand. wait till late, with a flash light keep an eye out for it. It will come all the way out for the food. snatch it up with a pair of tongs. They are strong and fast so wait till it is completely out of the rock. It may even curl up in the net. Or you can use a small plastic or glass bottle with food in it. It will crawl right in after it.

Fish Addict

I met some people who sell 4"+ bristle worms on eBay and get $10 for them... Apparently they are easy to ship