Ich FTL!!!

Chiisai

So I had a tank failure and had to move all my platies, guppies, and RCS into my clown loach tank. The tank is either 65 or 70 gals and dense planting. Moved the fish in yesterday and today 2 guppies have ich. So... if I treat the tank to save the guppies it would seem all the plants and RCS die. If I dont treat the ich the guppies and platies die. WTF?

Will I am

If you have a backup tank, fill 50% fresh water, 50% tank water from tank that's not infected, throw a housed filter for a good tank on there, take all the RCs and plants out, throw them into the other tank

Chiisai

Will I am said:
If you have a backup tank, fill 50% fresh water, 50% tank water from tank that's not infected, throw a housed filter for a good tank on there, take all the RCs and plants out, throw them into the other tank
Problem with that will is Ich is a protozoan(changes form dependant on environment) that is always present in your tank water, and plants. It can also stay dormant on plants so Even if I moved plants to another tank, the Ich would just be spread in the new tank or bucket. Moving the fish seems a moot point as well except the Ich needs a fish host or it dies after X amount of hours(or rather one form of Ich).

If I am not completely off base... all fish come in contact with Ich atleast a few times in their life but for the most part they have an immunity to it unless their immune system is compromised. So basically catching them and moving them into another tank caused the outbreak as they became stressed from being chased and netted.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend using Ich -X by aquarium solutions in this case. I've used it in planted tanks and with shrimp etc and had good results.

Madness

Staff member
Ich has a life cycle, it does not lay dormant.  There are several stages to ich.   The only way ich continues is if it finds a host, (a fish).  If ich does not find a host to continue the cycle, ich dies.  The only way to get ich again is by reintroducing it with a fish or plant or whatever from an infected tank.

Check out this very informative video on ICH from a buddy Conway Stevens, he is also a member here if you have any questions for him.  He is a disease guru, we call him Doc, his member name is ConStevens AquaSuppSys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IopYeLq_ftc&list=UU45F4DtQHNck-oatfAUXOMg&feature=c4-overview

Chiisai

Madness said:
Ich has a life cycle, it does not lay dormant.  There are several stages to ich.   The only way ich continues is if it finds a host, (a fish).  If ich does not find a host to continue the cycle, ich dies.  The only way to get ich again is by reintroducing it with a fish or plant or whatever from an infected tank.

Check out this very informative video on ICH from a buddy Conway Stevens, he is also a member here if you have any questions for him.  He is a disease guru, we call him Doc, his member name is ConStevens AquaSuppSys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IopYeLq_ftc&list=UU45F4DtQHNck-oatfAUXOMg&feature=c4-overview
Read/watched the link. Looks like if I move the fish/plants to another tank and the disease is on them and then I put them back in the tank in less than say a week I am just putting the ich back in no?

Chiisai

Aquarium Co-Op said:
I recommend using Ich -X by aquarium solutions in this case. I've used it in planted tanks and with shrimp etc and had good results.
Thanks Corey moving plants isnt such a big deal but catching all those shrimp(recent spawning) is nightmarish!

Madness

Staff member
Chiisai said:
Madness said:

Read/watched the link. Looks like if I move the fish/plants to another tank and the disease is on them and then I put them back in the tank in less than say a week I am just putting the ich back in no?
That is correct.