I snagged some red texas fry....

bassetman

Hope they turn out nice. I have seen some really nice red Texas.....but do not know anyone who got fry that colored up, some interesting fish but bland colors. Keep us posted with pics. Good luck.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
here are three different ones from my tank in the garage ( i have more of them in the house) :

019_zps03e83c1b.jpg

018_zps64601f14.jpg

017_zps598e8b68.jpg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
ShortyKiloGyrl said:
Hmm the ones here are quite a bit darker than that.
maybe something is stressing them out..... that happens from time to time when my dovii growout or some of my umbee want to be territorial with mine.....

Madness

Staff member
Unfortunately, I dont think that they will peel. If they are not showing a significant red under the spangling, I dont think that they ever will. Especially considering that the father is mostly white.

Now if I can ever get my male to have a successful spawn, I may have some with some great color.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
i agree madness, they will never be as nice as your red texas. i am actually still hoping that they end of white like dad with the blue spangling.....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
i'll just continue to grow them out until i get bored with them, or fall in love with them.... either way, they make great dithers for my umbee and dovii growouts

lloyd378 said:
i'll just continue to grow them out until i get bored with them, or fall in love with them.... either way, they make great dithers for my umbee and dovii growouts
Haha! Perfect use! I can attest to the agro of these beasts. By far the meanest fish I've kept and it wasn't a territorial mean, it was a "kill em all" mean!

Madness

Staff member
I know what you mean by "mean". The one I have left quickly became twice the size as the other 10, and he systematically eliminated everyone in the tank with him.

Now he is in the pond with all the larger RD grow outs, not sure whats happening in there, cant see them very well.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Finally got some decent pictures of them in their grow out tank. You can see some spots coming in and the last picture shows the size and color variations so far.