I need help!!!

protocl

Ok, I got the 180G with water.
Followed the fluval DVD, but when I start the unit up, the areas where the bolts are begin to leak water!!!!

A

Anonymous

I'm guessing you have an FX5? I have no experience with them, but PM Sandnukka, I think he has a few.

protocl

Spyral said:
I'm guessing you have an FX5? I have no experience with them, but PM Sandnukka, I think he has a few.
yea, I do.
Geez. When I start it up, the bolt down area just leaks water.

icer711

did you over fill it? i have a couple and they haven't leaked from the bolts, also check your o rings where the tube set in the white rings in the lid

protocl

icer711 said:
did you over fill it? i have a couple and they haven't leaked from the bolts, also check your o rings where the tube set in the white rings in the lid
I checked that when the first it leaked.
There are no O rings!!!!

icer711

haven't tore mine apart in a while but last time i did there were o rings that set in there give me a few and ill tear into on of mine really quickly, but the lid should sit right in place with out any force also make sure all the baskets lock together, but i sound like something not lineing up or the orings unless im crazy and though i saw them but tearing into it now for you

protocl

Inside the top part.
Where there are grooves. No o rings.
I know I need some for sure. The unit just keeps leaking out water.

icer711

ok there is a large o ring that goes all the way around the top i rest right in the lit where the male part on the base unit sits its a flat right there also is a o ring in the under that white part for the bubble build up tube check pull all your baskets out again and re aline them i set mine in wrong when i just reassembled it just now they should sit just a little lower than the lift tube and the lid should sit almost in place then bolts only hold it down from the pressure,, there also would be to o ring on your barbs for the hosing that might be the source as well, are the grove on the lid filling with water? or is leaking down the side?
one more test pull all your media out and run it empty does it still leak?

protocl

Ok.
I think it's working.
Thank you icer711 for informing me the unit needs o rings. I got this unit from eBay new, that's what I get.
A freaking unit that has no o rings.
So, I tried to use air hose. It fit quite well, no leakage.

I'll post pictures if it does or does not work.

icer711

yep no problem got mine used to so i know the drill Fluval tech is ok kinda slow though but they do help some if you need it... they finally sent me a purge valve after a month and a half.... i did only ask for a weird shaped o-ring ( looks like this all one piece O=O ) so i guess i cant complain

protocl

Now, no water leakage, but unit won't stay running. Shuts off after 10 minutes.
Plus, it wont go thru the initial cycle.

Bah.

icer711

it suppose to shut off for 2mins soon after start up to get rid of the micro bubble and it will do it every 24 hrs just leave it plugged in and see what happens let me know you can call me in like 20 mins about to leave

hbluehunter

I have 2 of them and like said above they're supposed to turn off for a few minutes after plugged in for a minute i think.. If you continue to have problems call Hagen.. When one of the pumps died on one of mine they just sent me a new pump and i mailed my old one back to them..

protocl

When i powered up, the unit just flows out water and I guess starts filtration an then stops. With no indication of initial startup.
I'll leave it on and see what happends when I get home.
I did do it's initial startup, but that's when water would water fall out of it!

Did you guys manually fill it with water?, before startup?

Fluval customer service sucks.

hbluehunter

When I did the initial start up yes I did fill it with the 2 gallons or whatever it calls for.. But yea plug it in and it should run for a minute or 2 then shut off for a couple minutes and will purge all the air out if the fter and then should start back up and run the way it should.

protocl

hbluehunter said:
When I did the initial start up yes I did fill it with the 2 gallons or whatever it calls for.. But yea plug it in and it should run for a minute or 2 then shut off for a couple minutes and will purge all the air out if the fter and then should start back up and run the way it should.
did your unit already have the o ring inside the lid or in the packaging? Do you know where in Seattle I can pick one up?

protocl

Got an O ring from APFP, burien.
Gonna follow the fx5 DVD to the T, for the 3rd time.
Recheck plumbing.

And hope for the best.

Thank you everyone who contributed help and those of you who read this thread.