I found this a good read on the midas complex.

A

Anonymous

Not sure if anyone else is intrested, but while doing some reading and researching on the midas complex, I came across this.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7007/8/60

I found it to be rich with info on a cichlid that has caused so much debate over the years. It gives a nice example of the detail in which these fish have been looked at by "the pros" and talks about how in such a short time (100 years) evolution already begins to make changes in these fish. It discusses in detail the possibilities of introduction into this isolated water system. And then how quickly the introduction of one species will start morphing into specialized "seperate" species to fill any niches. Its essentially the begining of a new variation of an existing species. A lot of time this will turn into subspecies, or a new species all together. I came across this info looking for info on a fish of the "midas complex". I recently aquired some f1 amphilophus "red isletas" (thanks madness) and did what I always do when I get a new fish and started reading. I found some good info on these fish as well and found that they are a "morphed" version of the midas complex, from lake nicaragua that had segregated itself. It started to breed eat and sleep over a "muddy" part of the lake rather then the "rocky" region. And they developed into a "subspecies" at some point and during this time they were overlooked in the hobby and by scientist. They were being described as a slight varient of the original species. Then evidently years later were looked at again. And this time they were found to have enough diffrences to be described as a diffrent species all together. Although not scientifically described yet (to the best of my research), there is enough diffrence between amphilophus "red isletas", and citrinellus/labiatus for them to become described as yet another member of the midas complex.... sorry I'm kinda rambling here. But when I learn something I really like to share it. And I wasent in the mood to have my wife stare blankly at me pretending she cared. Thanks for reading and soooo sorry for rambling. If you have time, and intrest, read the info on that link.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
fish_n_vw said:
sorry I'm kinda rambling here. But when I learn something I really like to share it. And I wasent in the mood to have my wife stare blankly at me pretending she cared.
What :shock: ? Did you say something, I wasnt paying attention, kind of zoned out there... :sleep:

Just a joke! :laughhard:

Interesting info, how the same genetic fish can vary so much due to the adaptions to that environment.

A

Anonymous

Your funny. Yeah, the need to survive and not have to compete for the same food, spawning site, hunting grounds. I see why and how subtle changes over a short period of time can turn into drastic changes over a longer period.

fishman09

so many amphilophus its cool that they can find such small differences to get so many different species cause midas, devil, hoga, isletas, zaliousum, xiloeansis all look so similar. good read