Hydrogen peroxide the destructor of cyanobacteria > : /

A

Anonymous

And beneficial bacterias as well, DOH!!

I got the quick cure to  Cyanobacteria, however next time I will remove all my fish and inverts.

I did a boo boo, don't know what I was thinking...guess was just tired of months of Cyanobacteria plaguing my tank. I started with spraying hydrogen peroxide on the plants, got frustrated and dumped the bottle in. I did do a couple of water changes but needless to say all but 1 Apistogramma  are gone, Cyanobacteria gone, I can tell by the bacterial bloom so is the beneficial bacteria. I think hydrogen peroxide may do the trick if anyone else is plagued but I would totally remove everything swimming, and recycle the system. Have to say the tank hasn't looked better in months....

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi fishNAbowl,

When I have had outbreaks of Cyanobacteria I have used hydrogen perioxide 3% successfully as a treatment.  I found that dosing at 15 ml (3 teaspoons) per 10 gallons is a safe level for fish and plants.  I dose using a oral syringe and 'paint' the affected areas after the light has been one for a least a hour so the algae is at full photosynthesis.

Sorry for your loss.

A

Anonymous

Ugh, I will totally try that next time! I typed in hydrogen peroxide in the search engine and nothing came up. Hopefully the next person who types these key words in will at lest be directed to this thread. That's good info thanks for chiming in Roy.