Huge Difference Between API & Tetra Test Kits

GinnyFinny

My only interest is measuring my nitrates and there's quite a difference between a reading of 10 ppm with the tetra test strip, and 35 ppm with API test kit.

If you have sterile test tubes and perform tests as directed with API, why would there be such different readings?

I'm not crazy about either test chart, so what do you guys use for water chemistry???
8e3547fa0765f1274a50080d2fe295f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob

Re: Huge Difference Between API & Tetra Test Kits

Because the tetra test strips are absolute garbage. I don't think you would find one person on here that thinks otherwise.

GinnyFinny

Not to mention expensive! I only use them (along with the API) because my LFS does it and suggested that I use in instead of API (too many variables in handling test tubes, etc.) I just clean the heck out of the test tubes when I'm done. I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated by the lack of accuracy with Tetra strips!

Bob

One of the first lessons i learned was don't buy tetra. I have never had an issue with the api tubes, just rinse the heck out of them after use. I hate when i forget and see it the next day still full and stained lol. Luckly i have a ton of the tubes.

GinnyFinny

Right on, Vicmacki! Even though you're the only one to respond so far, I totally agree that the Tetra strips are a piece of junk/inaccuracy, messy, oh did I mention inaccurate? I'm just glad I'm not alone with my positive feelings with API (and their customer service/tech support).

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

I actually love the tetra test strips and will stand behind them. There are many problems with liquid kits as well. Depending on the spectrum and how much light you use when comparing the vial to the color chart skews the results of different tests.

Also the getting the vials clean between uses. Also the fact that the general public, meaning people not on this forum don't test their water because it takes too long with vials. The fact that the public let their kits expire and still use them.

Then there is the fact that people save their old equipment when they buy a new kit, each batch of test solution is calibrated with new cards and colors. So while the colors are only slightly different it does make a difference, and sometimes the solutions are very different and can be completely different colors, from say comparing yellows to comparing blues instead from the next print run.

Also for test strip pricing, we recommend cutting them in half lengthwise to get twice as many tests for the same price.

So for the general public, I recommend the strips 100% by tetra. Which are superior to other brands such as mardel etc in strips.

On top of that, the strips test for chlorine also which the normal liquid kits don't. This helps you detect how much chlorine is in the water which can be very useful during the summer when we don't have a lot of rain and lots more chlorine gets pumped in.

I still maintain that anyone that needs any level of accuracy. They use a test kit that uses reagents each time you test. This would be the kits that have a known solution. For instance, if you were measuring pH, you'd have 1 tube filled with distilled water, and a reagent to read the reading of say 6.0. Then you'd have your test tank water with the reagent. You then have a dual card color wheel. This is where you can compare the known ph and get that locked in and then compare the unknown ph for better accuracy. That being said these kits are 250-500 dollars.

In general we don't need to know exact measurements for aquariums. And when we do, we often are not using equipment that can actually read those numbers. This is when we are looking at PH in the 4 or 5s etc. Or very high pH which isn't that common as that is mostly saltwater. In general we only need to know what range we are in.

So my personal opinion is I love tetra test strips and have used them daily for 10 years, breed lots of fish and trust my livelyhood with them. Test kits are a very small piece to a much bigger puzzle when keeping fish.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

GinnyFinny said:

Just as an observation, keep an eye on that alkalinity, being that low it could let the pH fall if there was enough load on the tank.

GinnyFinny

GH is high/normal, KH is slowly lowering. Haven't tested it with API. I have yet to know what to do about the KH. The pH seems normal. The GH seems within normal limits. Since I'm using Edmonds city water and Ultimate Conditioner with water changes and make-up water (evap), I don't know what else I can do. As for my plants, I may be lacking either Fe, K20, N, C02 or a combo of all. Weekly dosing of Flourish Comprehensive is in my opinion not enough nutrients for the plants. However, at your suggestion, I stopped using Flourish Excel after just a few doses and my Jungle Val came back (still a little pitiful looking, but not bad).

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

To fix the alkalinity issue here at the store and at home. I use crushed coral. Either in the filter or in the substrate. That has proven the easiest for me in keeping it at a level I like.

GinnyFinny

I will have to come to the store to get more info and supplement suggestions. Photos don't show details, but I just finished trimming (simply stirring the water near the plants was enough to release lots of dead leaves which surprised me) dead leaves from Anubias and Dwarf Lily.
770f9456ac7419b402ac1ee0d06ddd35.jpg
6d4e10e44a16510ff3e61a089edce887.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flamechica

I used test strips for years - both API and Tetra and never saw a difference in the two brands as far those went. I am now switching to the liquid after several people on here kept telling me how inaccurate the test strips were. A fishboxer was kind enough to give me a few extra of his. So now I have liquid kits for Ammonia and GH/KH. Now that I am working again, I plan on getting the rest that I need. So far, I really haven't noticed a big difference in the readings to be honest. I do think that you do tend to get more bang for your buck in the long run with the liquid tests. The test strips really are quite expensive - I wish I had thought of cutting them in half like Cory suggested above!!! However, also like Cory said, I do find that I am more reluctant to test my tanks regularly because it is more of a hassle to pull out the test tubes, fill them with the tank water, drop the chemicals in there, wait the specified time, read the results and then clean up the mess. With the test strips it was dunk, wait like 30s-1min, read and toss! Easy peasy! However, in the interest of full disclosure, I was rarely one that tested on a weekly or bi-weekly basis or anything like that anyways. I only really test when I add new fish, set up a new tank or visually see something that makes me think something may be wrong.

thecarl

just tried the test strips on my tanks, I have hard water in all of them, and low-nothing on the alkalinity as well.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

Hard water doesnt mean you have kh. Buffering capacity. It means you have lots of calcium and magnesium. Doesnt mean you do or dont have free ions to bond with the acids. It is common to jave low kh. I tested my new tap water at the house. It is 0. So ill be using crushed coral in all my tanks.

thecarl

GH was between 150 and 300, KH was 0. So, crushed coral. Do you have some in the shop? :)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

Yep, we sell it by the pound for $2. Or in 40lb bags for $40