how to tips photography

lilfishie

I've been told to focus on the fish's eyes. Easier said than done, but it works well for the person that told me that.

A

Anonymous

Photography through glass is one of the hardest kind. I don't know much about it but. All I can say is you have to snap 100s of pics to get the right one, and be patiant. Also when you are sitting in front of your tank keep your camrs in a position like your shooting so your fish are used to seeing it. That's all I got.

XtremeDave67

Photo's thru glass

though I am not yet done so, I am told (in classes) that;
1. if you take a Photo at an angle to the glass that helps with reflection of light or flash. close any blinds if any window light is also reflecting in your camera's view finder.

2. if you use flash use an Off Shoe flash to direct the light at an angle from your camera. so not to reflect directly back.

A

Anonymous

I recall hearing that if you have a flash that comes off of the camera ten place it above the tank also turning off your flash and useing a really powerfull light like metal halides will give really good results. I'm no phoographer but I read a lot and when I'm not broke I will get a good camera.

Kingstature

I find taking the pictures with tank lights off while the fish is resting or in sleep swim mode works best for me.. I use the the flash and take the picture in the Dark (It helps to have the little laser pointer that some cameras have so you can put that right on the fish, otherwise you hope the fish does not move. I do it this way because everytime I ask the fish to sit still the just give me the middle fin and keep swimming.. The flash in the Dark also helps bring out the fishes color.. This is just based on personal opinion and is not fact.. Just how I like to take fish photo's... :king:

sandnuka

manuel focus

If you have a camera that has manuel focus thats the way to go..... Auto focus doesnt work for me at all.... Plus, I agree with the person that said shooting from an angle... straight on shots get a big white flash on your pictures...

Good luck

crazyfish253

That old saying you get what you pay for is true. camras have come a long way fairly quick. just like a cell phone you buy it and next week its out date'ed. I spent 7 mounths looking and reading wayting for the best camra. I finally found it the canon EOS 550D T2I DLSR camra. Right out of the box you are a pro, plane as that. Read the manual for any questions and play with it a little, you can do this. This is nuthing compared to what it is truly capuble of. lastnight i was takeing pictures of shooting stars. It will only set you back 1K plus min 300 for a lens upgrade up to 4K
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Ashley

Over head lighting. Turn off all lights in the house, lamps, windows (best at night when there is no sunlight coming through) get as much light above the tank you can.

Paintguy

Definitely focus on the eye.

I turn up my film speed to 800-1200 range which lets me shoot a little faster to stop the blurry fins without to much grain on the image.

Also open up the lens as far as possible to pull in the most light (lowest f-stop #). This will give you a very short focal range so a side picture works the best. This is where the spendy lens will pull in more light (prime lens - or "fast glass").

I set my camera into burst mode and blast several shots in hope of getting the perfect one.

I found a video tutorial specifically about shooting fish... will see if I can find it again. Lowering the water in the tank to control where the fish can swim looked very helpful.

Livebearer

Photograghing anything moving is darn difficult, BUT I have found and easy way of doing so as long as there is no outside glare coming from behind you. Leave the tank light on and shut off any room lights and close any curtains in the room. Take a video for as long as you need to, getting various angles and sides (L.R.) of fishes/shrimps desired. A video camera is best for this purpose but the new I-phones will probably do o.k. Adjust setting (White balance/hue/color,etc.) so you the viewer can see well through viewfinder just as you would see the subject with the naked eye. Please BE IN-FOCUS as this is not a good selling point if you sell on-line! Take your recorded video and play it back on your puter. Then when you ifind a good shot or two slow it down set mode to frame-byframe. Select and save pics. Watch your sizing as well (pixel count H/V.) Happy videoing! :sunny: :sunny: