How to get rid of Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Betty

Staff member
I've tried assassin snails -- they can't get them all. I've manually removed them --they come back. I don't normally overfeed -- there are still enough to cause problems. I have been overfeeding a little in a tank with fry and the snails are thriving there! I made the mistake of adding a few to one tank a few years ago and somehow have them in 3 tanks now.

Other than emptying a tank and scrubbing it out, tossing the substrate and sterilizing the decor, is there any way to get rid of these things? I don't like killing them, but don't want them in my tanks. :mad:

Gizmo

Use 0.1mg/gallon of fenbendazole (active ingredient in dog dewormer), I would suggest measuring out from packets of Panacur-C (yellow box), available at most pharmacies including Costco. I used it to treat a planaria outbreak, but it works great for any/all invertebrates.

julzhull

I was overrun with ramshorns in one of my tanks and introduced some assassins but there were too many ramshorns. I got a snail trap and used it several times and finally the assassins were able to start breeding and taking over the remaining ramshorns. Now I've just got a lot of assassins in that tank which I prefer.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I have a snail farm here too. I'm growing way too many for Sean "Puffy" Combs to eat. He can't keep up. I got red ramshorn snails coming out my eyeballs.

What's super FUNNY is that I posted here, some months ago, how excited I was that I had snail eggs. hahahahahaha!

Mike16T

Ok.. Does mass killing the snails will trigger ammonia spike and so on....?!?!

Did you try snail traps?

Betty

Staff member
Yes, they really do reproduce like crazy! I also had a lot of ramshorns for a while, but was able to finally get rid of those.
I have tried a diy trap, but the problem is if you don't get every last one, they eventually come back. Good point about the ammonia. I do weekly large water changes and would make sure to keep an eye on things if I used fenbendazole and there was a mass die off.

The tanks are small and established with breeding N. leleupi and A. calvus so I don't think clown loaches would work.

Thank you for the replies. :)

Mike16T

Yes, they really do reproduce like crazy! I also had a lot of ramshorns for a while, but was able to finally get rid of those.
I have tried a diy trap, but the problem is if you don't get every last one, they eventually come back. Good point about the ammonia. I do weekly large water changes and would make sure to keep an eye on things if I used fenbendazole and there was a mass die off.

The tanks are small and established with breeding N. leleupi and A. calvus so I don't think clown loaches would work.

Thank you for the replies. :)

You can actually keep a small clown loach with african cichlids..