How many saltwater fishkeeper members of WFB are there?

lilfishie

I am curious as to how many members here on WFB are keeping saltwater tanks.
How long you have you had your current saltwater tank?
What size is your tank/tanks?

Spyral

I know there are not many of us, but here goes!

IMG00141-20101002-2157-1.jpg

I have a 25 gallon tall tank. It has been up and running for a few months now. I came in knowing absolutely nothing about SW tanks, my girlfriend is the one who knows what she is doing..lol. I am learning, but have overcome my fear of SW tanks, they really aren't as hard as I thought. Or maybe I have just been lucky!

This is my first foray into the world of SW tanks.

I have a 96 watt light fixture with 2 pairs of 24" bulbs and 6 moonlight LED's. I have an AC70 filter, a CPR Bak Pak protein skimmer and a Koralia Nano for water movement. I have an aqueon 150W heater in there as well.

I have a male and a female saddle back clown as well as a pair of blue damsels, a goby and a scooter blenny. There are also two emerald crabs and a few snails in there.

I have about 35 pounds of live rock, one of which is simply awesome and deep purple with coraline. The other rocks are catching up in short order.

I am not too well versed on corals and such, but I have a decent little selection going and am adding to it weekly. I am hoping to get some frags from lilfishie..lol

To see the progress of my tank., check out this thread.
http://www.wafishbox.com/general-saltwater-discussion-f38/spyral-s-sw-update-t1722.htm

My ultimate goal is to get an anemone. My 2 saddle backs will host one, for sure. The crazy buggers are trying to host a feather duster...lol.

sandnuka

I really think there is under 10 of saltwater keepers on this forum.... well that post.... I honestly was going to start one up, but I know funds wont allow it....

I think when I do it I am just goin to buy a 100gal established tank with corals, anemonies, fish, alll that stuff already there..... then i will learn while I maintain it, and add, minus stuff. :) thats the way I started freshwater fish anyway. ;)

Gosu

ive got a tank at 1.019 with 2 Green spotted puffers 2 ceylon puffers, and 5 creamsicle(sp?) mollies, it is a 55gal, going to split the puffers up by species soon and they will be in pairs each pair in a 55gal with water circulating between both tanks

aaronfeeney

Seriously considering a small SW set up, after seeing Lars and spy with little tanks I guess its not as impossible as I was led to believe.

lilfishie

Small tanks are not at all impossible. I currently have a two clowns in a 5 gal tank. Only because they are babies and too small to put in the big tank with the other fish. But it is a sufficiently running sw tank with live rock. No skimmer, so I clean out the detritus a coulpe times a week and do a 50% water change every week. There are small tanks that are fully functioning systems called nano tanks. Full reef tanks with fish.

Small tanks just need more frequent water changes and monitoring water quality but easily done.
Check out this page on About.com
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/tankphotos1to15gallo/ig/Top-1-15-Gallon-Reef-Tank-Phot/

lilfishie

Well okay, so including me there are 3 and a couple possible saltwater fanatics. Well one fanatic, me....and a couple saltwater enthusiasts and a couple possible enthusiasts. I know there are a couple more out there. Would like to hear from them too.

So here are the saltwater tanks I am keeping are;
75 gal mixed reef, meaning soft and hard (SPS, LPS) corals, fish, clams, starfish, snails and other critters. Fish are a pair of orange ocellaris clownfish, pajama cardinal, yellow tang and a mandarin dragonet. Running since april 2009

54 gal soft coral and fish, snails and critters. Fish are one sebae clown, two zebra striped dartfish and one flame fin tomini tang. Running since march 2010

34 gal Red Sea Max system with fish, rose bubble tip anemone, soft coral and macro algae(grape and mexicana caulerpa and a couple others, not sure of the names). Fish are pair black ocellaris clowns, tail spot blenny, diamond goby and black strip chromis. Running since august 2009

5 gal temporary tank for my baby clowns

baglel10

DONT FOGET ME!!!!!!

i got a 29 gal tank 2 clowns 3 hermit crabs and 1 scooter blenny so far no corals i dont have that big of a budget but i would say if you have 1 other tank and have the funds then start up a sw not to hard its just you are going to spend a good amount of time caring for your tank i spend 30 m a day just checking on it seeing what i can inprove on and such

i need a better cam

sandnuka

Thanks lilfishie for steppin up and really helpin out the SW part of the forum... I see you all over it! awesome!!

To everyone else, lilfishie knows her stuff... her tanks are stunning, healthy, and pretty much every SW keepers dream! So take her advice!

lars on

I could sit and stare at your tanks all day lorrie!

After my long little break, Im coming back to SW with the return of the 2.5 gallon foam tank. Gonna try and do a 10 gallon sump on it, just keep coral and if the time and my patience allows, might get a couple dwarf seahorses and a hatchery for shrimp in the next 5 months, or a catalina goby. Really leaning towards goby

Spys beautiful tank has got me wanting a sw again

///I found some old pics. Out of all the stuff I kept in that time, Pesky Hermit Crab was my favorite. Having to tip him back over hourly and find the corals as he drug them around the tank, was adorable. He would just hang chill by em.

july142010156.jpg

lilfishie

Hey Lars on, it will be good to have you back. Take your time with the seahorses, they are really demanding. Good luck and post pics when you get started.

lars on

I might just have to come and fish pesky hermit crab out of your tank and call it a deal for livestock! ;)