How frequently discus spawn

sandnuka

Ok, Ive been gettin mixed reviews on this.... so i wanted to get every discus keepers opinion..... from the guys I know they say discus will spawn (or drop eggs) 1 x every 1-2 months.... I have kept discus now for about 5 months, they are all pretty young, except a few and one pair.... but I have yet to have anyone drop eggs.... So How often do your discus spawn/drop eggs????

sandnuka

nope.... Ive heard that helps allot! now you are the 3rd person that brought that up.... darn, your in florida, I want to know where I can get some around here.. anyone know?

My discus pairs lay every other or so.

Assuming that the eggs don't hatch.

They will need to reach breeding age, pair up, as well as being well conditioned before they will lay.

I would stay away from feed anything live. Most experienced discus keepers do very well with out them and would suggest to not use live at all...

JLux1106

I just bought live black worms at pet pourri. Good amount for like 2 dollars . My discus went into a frenzy haha.

Lilydog

Young discus pairs will spawn a lot. Ive seen some teenagers spawn every other day....then eat their eggs. Time to split them up for 4-6 months. Older fish take a little longer and usually spawn every 2 weeks left to their own(without fry on them or fry removed). I find fish dropping eggs too frequently are a lot smaller in size(means smaller hatchlings) (each actual egg) and tend to be smaller spawns in number of eggs. I usually seperate young pairs (once they start dropping eggs) for 6 months untill they get more mature. This allows them to grow to big adults fast and not waste energy on spawning. I keep a tank full of my adult pairs that i am "resting" between spawns. Young pairs (in my observation) that the spawns are not controlled can become spent young and stop spawning in a few years. They rarely become consistent fry rearing parents. Its not usually a problem with older fish since they rarely want to spawn again once raising fry. Not untill you remove the fry in a month. This is only a problem if you prefer to pull the eggs and raise them away from mom and dad. My older pairs average 150-200 eggs per clutch if i wait a month. If I let em spawn again right away the clutch is usually < fifty eggs and noticibly smaller egg diameter. I have some pairs with 150egg clutches for over 10 years...I have tried to spawn more frequently and find other pairs stop spawning consistently after 3-5 years with much smaller clutches (average 25-50eggs) I have 16 pairs and keep meticulus records on my pairs spawning histories. I also find that pairs I let spawn too fast tend to not be as good at rearing fry...its like they get bored with it if i had to describe it. Even my best and oldest pairs will shake off fry if its too fast between spawns. All my pairs are on a 500 gallon system (full of soil/dirt substrate & packed with live plants)of 29gallon tanks plumbed into a 200 gallon sump. Once a month I drain the sump and refill it....all my pairs spawn in unison when i do this....lilydog