Homemade Breeder Boxes

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Well I had a post earlier of trying to find a quick solution. A few people gave me input and I kinda mixed ideas together! So here is my option I went with until my boxes show up, which I may just sell lol I like my boxes better almost. We will see. :)

I went to the dollar store and bought a 2 pack of cheaper soft(ish) sided "tupperware" containers. Then used a punch to poke holes in the side.

This is the punch.

Then I poked holes in it for circulation. Here are two pictures of the end result.

I then put them in the tank carefully so that the water would gently go into the container and not overflow and sink them. I used the tank clips from my 20 gallon tank divider to hold them in place, the HOB circulates the water in circles and as the container passed under the HOB outlet it would flood them and sink it. I as well placed fake floating plant pieces in the top for the babies to hide in when the mothers start to give birth.

Here they are in the tank.

(Dad's are nervous because they protect the Mom's of their own breed. It's cute.)

Hope this helps someone else or gives them ideas. WAY cheap option. ONE dollar for two boxes. I chose to go with the second to the deepest as I just have platys in mine in a 30 gallon tank but there are definitely different sizes if you have larger fish. Good Luck!

Doza

not bad idea... For mine i always used The suction cup crap holders for holding random stuff in the shower.. The ones i have found have slits thicker than a quarter in the sides and the bottom.. Dont have to do nothing but suction cup them to the glass and the babies just fall threw the holes.. Just make sure nothing is in the tank they fall into.. Find them at walmart....

These are identical to the ones i got at walmart.. you have to drill holes in the bottom tho..
918-med.jpg

And these.. slots in the bottom and holes in the sides

Also the betta seperators work nicely and suction cup and can hold 4 females..I believe these are from Toms and call betta divider or??? I forgot exactly.. They are tricky to find about $10 for one
bettadivider.jpg
]

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Doza, if I want the babies to live I can't let them fall into the rest of the tank. They have to stay in the breeder boxes. I have an aggressive angelfish in the tank as well. It leaves the others alone but picks on ANY angelfish that is with it, so by itself if fine. But I know if the babies go into the rest of the tank with the angel, it'll gobble the babies up. So those would work well if I didn't have that issue. :)

Doza

true.. the moma will eat the babies as well tho.. ideally you would like to have another 10 gallon to collect the fry in with them inside of one of the containers that ive posted.. Thats how ive saved most all fry...