Home depot pea gravel

Wolf-Keeper1

Has anybody tried this? I want to change my substrate from this bright pink that came with the tank to something more natural. Would it be safe?

Mikey

If you do this, make sure to rinse it several times in large buckets. No need to boil this gravel. But yes, It is aquarium safe.

Ashley

^^^ agreed. We use it in one of our tanks and we just rinsed it in a big rubbermaid couple of times

Mikey

Wolf-Keeper1 said:
Thank you both for a speedy reply. I appreciate it a bunch!!
No problem, report back to us and post some before and after pics! I bet it will look mucccchhh better than that pink gravel! :cheers:

IceBerg

Also beware if you have any bottom dwellers there might be some sharp edges that could injury your fish. And when you think you have rinsed it enough, rise it again! :D

Wolf-Keeper1

IceBerg said:
Also beware if you have any bottom dwellers there might be some sharp edges that could injury your fish. And when you think you have rinsed it enough, rise it again! :D
Good to know I have an eel aswell as a pike that just sit on the gravel, thanks for the info.

Mikey- I'll def get some pics, I wont be able to do it till next wednesday since thats my next day off. But i will get some nice pics for ya.

A

Anonymous

I used 200 pounds of the Home Depot Silica Sand in my 180, didn't rinse it and it is just awesome. $8 for 100 pounds, can't beat that.

Rick

I put the pea gravel in my 125 and I like the looks of it. I have a couple ides on planting the tank but for now I'm looking for logs and rock fot it.