Hi from Gig Harbor!

FishBeast

Hello! I came across this forum tonight just by chance.

Got into the hobby at the age of 9 when my dad gave me a 15 gallon tank and a book on fishkeeping (still have it). Life and responsibilities along the way made it hard to consistently stay in it through the years...

Until.... a couple of months ago when one of my sons "coerced" me into getting a betta in a little tank. That's all it took!

The betta is now in a bigger home with proper filtration, and as a side effect I now am suffering from terminal MTS already - darn Dollar a Gallon sales! My car is now outside the garage.

Current tank list (Update 1/29/2017):
210 - empty
120 - SA/CA cichlid, endli bichir, Indo datnoid, spiny eels
75 - holding for bichir and Jaguar cat
75 - empty (planning new home for loaches)
55 - Red Belly Pacu (don't judge)
55 - current loach river tank
40B - smaller fish + Betta
20L - empty
10 - shrimp and snails
10 - Spotted Congo puffer
2.5 - snail farm

Nice to find a place to connect with fellow hobbyists in our beautiful evergreen corner of the world!

Last edited:

FishBeast

Thank you clownie!

Me to wife: "But there's still room in the garage!"
Wife rolls eyes: "That's because your car is now outside."

Welcome! That is quite the collection of tanks! Looking for more......I'd say you're bit! LOL

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward talking 'monster fish' and bichir

Jeffro

Welcome! I too had a break from fish. I considered converting the garage...but it will get cold in the winter time and likely expensive to heat.

I am looking forward to trying a pond outside this spring and summer. Watch some of the aquarium coop videos on this!

Good luck with all the fish! I'm jealous!

FishBeast

Welcome! I too had a break from fish. I considered converting the garage...but it will get cold in the winter time and likely expensive to heat.

I am looking forward to trying a pond outside this spring and summer. Watch some of the aquarium coop videos on this!

Good luck with all the fish! I'm jealous!
Thanks man! The garage is thankfully heated so the heaters won't have to push too hard... our problem here in Gig Harbor is power outages. [emoji30] good luck on the pond! What are you stocking it with?

Jeffro

Cory has some great videos for keeping fish outside in the spring and summer. Here is one from the GSAS:

I'm not sure what I will try outside. It really depends on how it goes with my new tanks. I was going to possibly try a South America tank with Gymnogeophagus and white clouds (both of which could spend time outside in the Spring and Summer) but I decided to go with my first plans of a Central American tank. I'm not sure how well they would do outdoors unless I added a heater.

I may still try some white clouds or guppies in one of the plastic ponds above ground. I did have a small in ground pond out front, but removed it because it was very hard to keep clean and it hardly received any sunlight.

FishBeast

Cory has some great videos for keeping fish outside in the spring and summer. Here is one from the GSAS:

I'm not sure what I will try outside. It really depends on how it goes with my new tanks. I was going to possibly try a South America tank with Gymnogeophagus and white clouds (both of which could spend time outside in the Spring and Summer) but I decided to go with my first plans of a Central American tank. I'm not sure how well they would do outdoors unless I added a heater.

I may still try some white clouds or guppies in one of the plastic ponds above ground. I did have a small in ground pond out front, but removed it because it was very hard to keep clean and it hardly received any sunlight.
Thanks for the link! I just now put together that Cory on here is Aquarium Co-op guy! I subscribe to him but have not been to the store yet. Might have to ask for an autograph hahaha

Good luck with the pond dude!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I just now put together that Cory on here is Aquarium Co-op guy! I subscribe to him but have not been to the store yet. Might have to ask for an autograph hahaha

Good luck with the pond dude!

He's not there on Sundays or I'd already have one. *snork*

FishBeast

Hard? Oh I think it's worse than that.

I'd say you're laying in an alley, cuddling your peacock eel with a sponge filter hanging out your arm, waiting for Aquarium Co-Op to open so you can cop some tetras.

I feel like I'm going to be right behind you.
Hahaha! Don't forget airline tubing up our noses and filter floss blankets!!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hahaha! Don't forget airline tubing up our noses and filter floss blankets!!

Yes! Lots of airline tubing and filter floss blankies!!!

I think I'm in fish withdrawal from watching everyone's Chicago Aquatics show vids. I need to go do a water change or something to get this out of my system.

And I am definitely jonesing for some MO pea puffers this morning....!

FishBeast

Yes! Lots of airline tubing and filter floss blankies!!!

I think I'm in fish withdrawal from watching everyone's Chicago Aquatics show vids. I need to go do a water change or something to get this out of my system.

And I am definitely jonesing for some MO pea puffers this morning....!
Vicki! They got dem lil peas at Midway fish and pet in Des Moines! $4 each! They had maybe 10 in a tank in the back! GIT SUM

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Vicki! They got dem lil peas at Midway fish and pet in Des Moines! $4 each! They had maybe 10 in a tank in the back! GIT SUM

MIDWAY?
DES MOINES?
:eek:
Sorry @FishBeast - that's wayyy to far for me to go for fish of any kind -- even pea puffs! In truth, the Aquarium Co-Op is just at the very EDGE of my "how far I'm willing to go" map -- for anything. It does help though that Dick's is on the way. A greasy bag of Dick's is the perfect compliment to fish store shoppin'.

FishBeast

Hahaha sorry where are you located? And what is this Dick's thou speakest of? Burgers? Because if they are good then I'm gonna get me my own bag o' Dick's!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hahaha sorry where are you located? And what is this Dick's thou speakest of? Burgers? Because if they are good then I'm gonna get me my own bag o' Dick's!

What??? You've never been to Dick's??? :eek: Jeez Louise, man! Have you been living in a pleco cave somewhere??

I'm in Mukilteo - or close to it.

Here's "my" stop off on the way to the Co-Op -