Hi everyone! I live a long way from WA

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I've just joined WA Fishbox and am from Auckland in New Zealand.

About yourself?
I'm 30, from Auckland New Zealand, I'm a Chartered Accountant by day and a Big Fish Nerd the rest of the time! Other hobbies include Snowboarding, Aviation, Cars (been checking out your thread on your own cars), Eating

Why join WA Fishbox?

I belong to a lot of online forums & clubs for the hobby and am a fan of various youtube channels who I know frequent this site. There is a club called the Federation of New Zealand Aquatic Societies which have a forum and my username is "Joel" on that too. I like to meet people internationally and learn different perspectives and approaches and so joining this site makes a lot of sense. Plus you all seem so nice ! :p

How did you get into fishkeeping?

My parents got me into it when I was young, I had goldfish when I was about 4 years old and have always been a fish nerd. I became obsessed with Oscars around age 10 and have kept a few of them over the years. I also lived in Australia for a couple of years so was quite into Rainbows in my early teens while living there. In my later teens I was interested in more larger & or/ aggressive fish and had a large tank with huge tinfoil barbs, silver dollars, etc. I took about a decade off while pursuing my career and have just gotten back into the hobby in the last year. I've gone from 0 to 20+ tanks in about 7 months. These days I have africans and livebearers, and of course some Oscars. I'm finding the hobby a lot more fun these days with the power of the internet!

Hope to get to know a few of you and perhaps one day I'll travel to the USA and checkout the fish scene there. It looks amazing!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Welcome!

I was an Oscar Crazy Person back in the early 90's! They were like dogs. Always wanting food, attention and rubs.

FishBeast

Hi all,

I've just joined WA Fishbox and am from Auckland in New Zealand.

About yourself?
I'm 30, from Auckland New Zealand, I'm a Chartered Accountant by day and a Big Fish Nerd the rest of the time! Other hobbies include Snowboarding, Aviation, Cars (been checking out your thread on your own cars), Eating

Why join WA Fishbox?

I belong to a lot of online forums & clubs for the hobby and am a fan of various youtube channels who I know frequent this site. There is a club called the Federation of New Zealand Aquatic Societies which have a forum and my username is "Joel" on that too. I like to meet people internationally and learn different perspectives and approaches and so joining this site makes a lot of sense. Plus you all seem so nice ! :p

How did you get into fishkeeping?

My parents got me into it when I was young, I had goldfish when I was about 4 years old and have always been a fish nerd. I became obsessed with Oscars around age 10 and have kept a few of them over the years. I also lived in Australia for a couple of years so was quite into Rainbows in my early teens while living there. In my later teens I was interested in more larger & or/ aggressive fish and had a large tank with huge tinfoil barbs, silver dollars, etc. I took about a decade off while pursuing my career and have just gotten back into the hobby in the last year. I've gone from 0 to 20+ tanks in about 7 months. These days I have africans and livebearers, and of course some Oscars. I'm finding the hobby a lot more fun these days with the power of the internet!

Hope to get to know a few of you and perhaps one day I'll travel to the USA and checkout the fish scene there. It looks amazing!

Welcome Joel! It is good to see your MTS has fully relapsed! This is a fun and friendly forum... you will feel right at home. Now post some pics!

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks FishBeast! Indeed I will I need to do a full fish room tour video I think !

And yeah MTS is looking like a life long condition for me. I was thinking about it earlier; in the above post I missed another mini-phase in the middle of the '10 year break' that I only remembered earlier.

FishBeast

Thanks FishBeast! Indeed I will I need to do a full fish room tour video I think !

And yeah MTS is looking like a life long condition for me. I was thinking about it earlier; in the above post I missed another mini-phase in the middle of the '10 year break' that I only remembered earlier.
I'll tell you what... MTS is good for the health. I was able to stop my blood pressure medication when I got back into fishkeeping! :)

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Whoops the vid never happened it will soon though im on holiday from Friday so ill do it then! Promise!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@Joel - thank you. That is JUST exactly what I needed this very moment; a cool TANK TOUR! Seeing all your tanks has certainly lifted my spirits this morning! There's so much I wanted to comment on...and ask about. I'm going to have to watch it again and take notes. ha!

As an old "Oscar gal", seeing yours just warmed my heart. I love those guys!

FishBeast

Very well done, brother! Love the DIY fluidized filter on the first tank. Very cool natural light concept on third (swordtail) tank. How do you keep algae at bay?

Do you sell/breed your fish?

LOL@ 1 inch to 1 foot Oscars in 6 months. I don't know of many other fish that grow that quickly save perhaps for Pacu.

Your plants are also very healthy looking. Awesome to see summer in December! How hot does it get in Auckland?

Really neat solar powered minnow barrel!

Cheers!

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Yes please! Keen for comments
@Joel - thank you. That is JUST exactly what I needed this very moment; a cool TANK TOUR! Seeing all your tanks has certainly lifted my spirits this morning! There's so much I wanted to comment on...and ask about. I'm going to have to watch it again and take notes. ha!

As an old "Oscar gal", seeing yours just warmed my heart. I love those guys!

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Very well done, brother! Love the DIY fluidized filter on the first tank. Very cool natural light concept on third (swordtail) tank. How do you keep algae at bay?

Do you sell/breed your fish?

LOL@ 1 inch to 1 foot Oscars in 6 months. I don't know of many other fish that grow that quickly save perhaps for Pacu.

Your plants are also very healthy looking. Awesome to see summer in December! How hot does it get in Auckland?

Really neat solar powered minnow barrel!

Cheers!
In terms of algae on that tank I do need to scape it sometimes, but the swordtails also pick away at it all day. It gets to maybe 30 (86) here at the very most but every day is above 24 (75). Yeah I learnt about the fluidised filters from @Cory it's always the one thing people are interested in when they see it. And yeah I do sell and breed but its all experimental and for fun!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@Joel - that was one of the things I also thought about - like @FishBeast - how to keep the algae at bay in that tank that sits between TWO windows! I've got black poster board on my living room tank for that very reason. The Ramshorn snails in there are fat and sassy to boot.

I also loved the solar bucket pond in the back. That's awesome. I will be looking to hear how many fish you get at the end of your summer there. I got five beautiful White Mountain Minnows from The Co-Op and I only have one left. Where did they go? I would sure like to know. I've looked behind the tank, around the tank, between things they could have flopped to - as there is an opening toward the back of the tank cover. Didn't you say that's what's in your barrel pond? Glad you got a cover on it. Apparently, they're jumpers.

@FishBeast - Joel is making me want a big ass tank full of Oscars again...

FishBeast

@Joel - that was one of the things I also thought about - like @FishBeast - how to keep the algae at bay in that tank that sits between TWO windows! I've got black poster board on my living room tank for that very reason. The Ramshorn snails in there are fat and sassy to boot.

I also loved the solar bucket pond in the back. That's awesome. I will be looking to hear how many fish you get at the end of your summer there. I got five beautiful White Mountain Minnows from The Co-Op and I only have one left. Where did they go? I would sure like to know. I've looked behind the tank, around the tank, between things they could have flopped to - as there is an opening toward the back of the tank cover. Didn't you say that's what's in your barrel pond? Glad you got a cover on it. Apparently, they're jumpers.

@FishBeast - Joel is making me want a big ass tank full of Oscars again...
Them White Clouds got hops. It's true!! Yes... The beautiful Oscar. My first love as well. Unmatched personality!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome, sorry it took me so long to find this. These 16 hour work days are killing my non existent social life lol.

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Them White Clouds got hops. It's true!! Yes... The beautiful Oscar. My first love as well. Unmatched personality!
I've never actually known that White Clouds are jumpers! Mainly that was there to prevent cats & birds. If they have been jumping out they would have been picked off by birds so I guess i'll find out in a couple of months.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I've never actually known that White Clouds are jumpers! Mainly that was there to prevent cats & birds. If they have been jumping out they would have been picked off by birds so I guess i'll find out in a couple of months.

I didn't know this either! Clearly, if I get more of these -- and I will - I love them -- I will put them in a more secure tank arrangement.