Help Me Find This PLEASE!!! "Cynotilapia afra (Cobue)"

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Help Me Find This PLEASE!!! "Cynotilapia afra (Cobue)"

Here we go again everyone. Found another Cichlid we would like to add to our tank. :) Now to see if anyone has any babies they would like to sell before I start searching the internet for it. The scientific name is Cynotilapia afra (Cobue). They are another GORGEOUS fish! My boyfriend has recently upgraded to a 75 gallon from a 55 and is looking to add new fish. So online I go to find awesome looking cichlids. And sure enough. :) I look forward to all your input. I got great feedback before and 3 fish he is thrilled with (thanks again Me) :)

Here is the picture

A

Anonymous

Re: Help Me Find This PLEASE!!! "Cynotilapia afra (Cobue)"

Hey if you wouldent mind going to the american cichlid section and deleteing your first post now that you have this posted in the right spot please. Oh and I answered your question there too. Kevin at a place for pets in burien (7 or 8 dollars). Happy fish keeping.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

I accidentially clicked on American. I did know this was an African. My boyfriend only has African's in his tank. :)

A

Anonymous

Its perfectly fine just lettin you know it was there. Would mind deleteing the original please?

A

Anonymous

Oops nevermind saw it... thanks. Just trying to make sure we don't have double posts that's all, again thank you.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

No not a problem at all. :) And thank you for letting me know about A Place For Pets. Hopefully someone knows of somewhere a little bit closer as I am about 2 hours away from there. :S

icer711

... think your going to have to make a fish getting trip hit a few along the way ;)... but as for us out west here there ant much

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

That's kind of what it is seeming like. I'm not sure how far he is willing to drive though. Or how long fish can last in a bag to transport without constant oxygen.

icer711

just bring a bucket i transport fish from Vancouver to here quite often with out problems, most are in the bucket 5hrs.. had a set that were in it for a week :( but i had air and a established nano sized sponge running (tank wasn't ready)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Oooh that is very good to know. :) Maybe after hunting season is over I will convince him to take a ride with me up that way. Lol during hunting season will be IMPOSSIBLE! lol :)

A

Anonymous

Also fish can survive for a pretty long time in bags my mom just drove from florida to arizona non stop (her and her friends taking turns at the wheel) and lost 1 out of 47 fish. I dont remeber how long they were in there but she just packed a single fish per bag, used the big bags for like 7 or 8 inch fish, fasted them for a few days so they wouldent dirty up the water much and opened the bags to replace the air every 4 to 6 hours. I'm not saying I suggest this but it is more then an option. Also I have gone from portland to tacoma several times often times stopping for dinner on the way home with fish and in my probably 15 ish times have never lost a fish. I always tell them to pack the fish one per bag and use one bag size larger then they normaly would. Also putting several bags with fish in a styro (they useually have them at pet stores) keeps the water temp pretty stable and the decrease is extreamly slow. Really you have a good 6 hours before you should even bat an eye, unless you have a really delicat species. Then your probably still good at 4 or 5 hours. I wouldent be concerned with a few hours just let them know that you are going back to (wherever) and its going to take (however long) and they will pack accourdingly. The two guys that run the shop and a couple of the employees really know fish and will not let you down. I can vouche and give you my word that they will do a great job.

me

I know some breeders with these, but unless you were getting half a dozen or so the price for shipping probably wouldn't be worth it to you.

larry.beck

My cobue quad has only produced one clutch of fry so far; I suspect as long as I keep them in the tank with my demasoni they'll only spawn occasionally. The one clutch is up to about 1" in length now, but still have their juvenile color (or lack of).

You do know only the males of this species will show that color, right? The females are drab. I don't mind, and the color is worth it. but I know some people prefer not to get into cobue for this reason.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

There are only males in the tank so that works well for us. We may be taking a trip up north to see what we can find after a while. I'm meeting with icer for some fish and Me but other than that we really don't get anything great in down here. Nothing like what we are looking for.