Help me decide which Cacatuoides to get

plumcuda

Hi,
i never seem to post, but I do read the forum all the time. Someone finally took most of my Bolivians ,so I can get more fish ! thanks Larry. i want to get
Cacatuoides, but can't make up my mind between double red or orange flash. Can they live together? If so I'll get a few of each. My bolivians and germans
get along, so maybe the cacatuoides can too. Planning on a 40 long for cacatuoides, they won't be with bolivians/germans.Any idea's ?

thanks,
Lori

Lilydog

They are the same fish...they will cross and all get along. The breeder that fixes the red or orange, or blue, or yellow morphs do so by selective breeding. If you cross the orange and red you wipe out atlest ten generations of selective breeding. They are worth more in money and desire if you don't cross them...they are extensivlely muts then. I keep mine in ten gallon tanks no problem so they don't mix colors. Once you get one clutch you have enough to stock a bigger tank in same color groups. Otherwise you basically down grade your fish when you breed out their color. If you cross to make new strains you have to have a plan. Then track what you crossed so you can reproduce it and fix the new strain. lots of work. It really doesnt matter, you just turn your purebred fixed colors back into more wild looking muts.
lilydog

Lilydog

most apistogrammas don't like other differnt types of apistos in their turf once a pair starts breeding. I would try a pair of taeniatus from w africa as tank mates in a 40 instead of a different apisto if you want another type of dwarf with your caucatoides. Or add enough (5-6) fish that you have a group instead of just a pair if adding same kind (color morphs aside). Coming from different continents and shape is different enough they leave each other alone. In my garage i have 75-10gallon tanks for apistos and taneatus. They just do better alone (refering to different species)if you put in pairs honestly. look up p. taeniatus "wouri" and p. taeniatus "muyaka" and p. taeniatus "bipindi"
lilydog

plumcuda

I think I'm going to move the GBR to the 40 and put orange flash with it and put reds in with bolivian in 50 gal. tank.The Taeniatus were nice, but out of my budget.
Will be ordering from The Wet Spot as it's cheaper to have them shipped then it is for round trip ferry. I just love living in the boonies. I am really good at online shopping though.