Help! Fin Rot???

Nick_87

So in the past I have lost a few angel fish due to a strange almost fungus like white fuzz that starts on their fins and then eats their fins up till it gets to their body and then they die? Only my angel fish have been affected by this and all my other fish are fine. This is the second time this has happened to me and I have quarantined them and tried to treat with heat and salt, melafix, primafix and parasite gaurd and nothing seems to stop it. My big male angel has now been floating around on his side and upside down for 2 days and doesn't look like he will pull through? Any know causes or treatments for this? Help please, don't want to loose another.

A

Anonymous

Maybe should treat the main tank and do major water changes after the treatments for fish rot. Fungus might lurking still in the tank. Waiting for a new victim.  Ask Angelman about it might hve better information about what to do and prevent future outbreak. Good luck.

cichlid-gal

Nick87...this is just one of the references I use for health issues with fish.  I do not know if everything presented in this material is correct but I like it because it has some pictures and good followthrough information.

There are a couple of sections that deal with fungus in this link...see Fin Rot and Fungus sections.  The fungus section even has a picture of an angel fish with fungus and some explanations why they are suscepible to it.

A-Z fish diseases

Betty

Staff member
If it's fin rot, parasite guard won't help it.  Melafix and/or Pimafix might not be enough if it's severe.  You probably need something that treats bacterial infections.

Water quality is important in treating and I would do some water changes to be sure that it's nice and clean.  Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?  Has anything changed in your maintenance routine or stocking numbers?

keeones23

l once had a single fish in a tank full of about 50 fish come down with what I believe was fin rot. All of his fins just seemed to fall off. I used TC Tetracycline from petsmart and it did the trick. I left him in the 10 gal and he made a full recovery.

star_rider

I think it may be important to get a reading of the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite nitrate) it's also good to note the current tank set up with inhabitants as well as maintenance schedule.
fin rot is sx of several possible issues from water quality to tank mates to bacterial.

:)

anthony

How about dipping the fish in the blue stuff?? It will destroy your bacteria in the main tank so don't treat the whole tank. Even though I keep the more hardier species I'm an overcrowder ! I think the uv is one of the better fish keeping addons you can invest in. When you use the right watt bulb for you canisters water flow you are killing parasites, fungus, bacteria (from too much waste). If The U.V. is not an option I would go with a Large water change and think about keeping salt in the tank for a long time and keeping the fish at the higher end of their temp. spectrum from now on. I don't know if you have plants,shrimp.snails etc. I can only speak for the fish part . P.s. The blue stuff works for true fungus but I don't know if fin rot falls in with the fungus category. I thought the fish has fungus