HELLOOOOOOOOO from the past

Madness

Staff member
Hello Fishbox.. It has been a loooong while since I have been on, glad to see that the forum is still up and running. How is everyone? I have trimmed down immensely like 20+ tanks and a few thousand gallons :( .
If you dont remember me or know me, say hi and tell me what you are keeping. If you do remember me, say hi, and let me know that your still around and if you have changed up what you are keeping. Hopefully I will be dropping in more frequently for a while.

FishBeast

Hey! Welcome back! We are trying to keep this place going hehe. No major changes for me, just bichirs, loaches, shrimp and other random stuff.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Wow, blast from the past! Good to hear from you.

Not sure where to begin... My wife and I moved to Lakewood, did a huge remodel and I built the living room around an 8 foot 300 gallon. I slowly reduced stock till my Pearsei was pretty much my only cichlid. Sadly she passed due to age in September of this year. She probably was 10 years old.

I still have my Hairy puffer and now an Arrowhead puffer. Both have their own 65B’s. I have a 20L with 3 Petsmart red devils Im raising out and 3 Hoga in the 300g from @lloyd378 that I believe came from you. @lloyd378 also got me some Gage B. Midas fry which Im setting up a 75 gallon for. Eventually looking to do an amphilophus tank with bichirs in the 300.

lol, thats all for me.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
We talk often enough but:
220 w/ umbee pair and fry
180 w/ red Dovii growouts ( small ... around 3-4”), female rtms, and a large firemouth
125 w/ rtm pair and fry
75 w/ male chanco
75 w/ male trimac
75 w/ African peacocks ( but I’m bored with these so they are going away soon to make room for my lemon oscars)
75 w/ delhizi polys
40b w/ rtm male
40b w/ 2x lemon oscar and a bunch of Midas fry
40g w/ electric blue acara and blood parrots ( daughters tank)
38g w/ large crayfish
29g w/ small crayfish

and my son has a 75 w/ two aquatic turtles

Betty

Staff member
Madness, welcome back! There are a few of us non-facebook members still around.

I still have some Africans -- the same ones I've had for years and they are getting very old and dying off. :(
I've had to downsize on number of tanks so haven't added any new fish. Still like to read about everyone else's though.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="75 w/ African peacocks ( but I’m bored with these so they are going away soon to make room for my lemon oscars)
[/QUOTE]

What kinds of peacocks? I might be interested.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I got them from a member on here almost a year ago.... I wish I could tell you the species, but being new to The peacocks I’m not really sure.

but if you’re a true keeper I’d probably pass as I can’t verify their pure ness or their species.

I do know that I added some OB peacocks from an add on Craigslist last summer..... they have the spots but not the vibrant base colors.....almost look like Dalmatians ( which bummed me out as I wanted some with that bright orangish red body with he spotting

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...but if you’re a true keeper I’d probably pass as I can’t verify their pure ness or their species...

Thanks, Lloyd; I think you're right. The problem with peacocks is that all the females look alike, and they will hybridize readily, so unless you buy from a reputable seller- like Live Fish Direct, which generally has a nice selection of peacocks- you have no idea what you're getting. Just a whim anyway, as I haven't kept Malawians in years. And truth be told, peacocks are pretty, but not very interesting (as cichlids go). Someone once said that 'Malawians are colorful, but Tanganyikans are interesting.' That's an oversimplification, for sure, but true nonetheless. And is there a peacock prettier than this Ophthalmotilapia nasuta 'Kipili Gold'? I don't think so...

IMGP6613R1.jpg

Madness

Staff member
Nice to hear from you all again. I miss talking fish with you David and Betty. :) Lloyd were will probably talk next week lol. Keith thanks for hijacking my thread, lol.

David i still have 1 eight foot 300 left with some barred midas, barred devils, orange devil, and sagittae. Just my amphs. Glad to see that your still keeping your beauties.

I know all about down down sizing Betty and i also like hearing about my friends and old acquaintances and their water babies.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Shawn, glad to hear you still have a tank and amphs going. After losing the big pearsei to old age, I have been redoing my set up to an amph tank. Lots of baby growouts including the Hoga that @lloyd378 had got from you a while back. The cichlid club has seemed to dwindle since you have downsized, but good to hear from you and that you still are keeping fish.