Hello From Snohomish

Hefateus

Hi, I'm fairly new to fish keeping but am really enjoying it. I have a 20 gal tank with tiger barbs (regular and albino) I also have a 72 bow front with glass cats a few buenos Aires tetras, a bunch of corys a few other odd tetras of common varieties and an angel to round it out. Im currently trying my hand at growing black worms for a live food source. So far so good. I really want some CPO's or other dwarf cray but I hear they are bandits in the washington fish world.

keman

Good luck with the blackworm. They stink if you keep them in the house. I tried a few ways of keeping them and failed. Now I just buy small batches and keep them in a "keeper" in the fridge.

ziggyzoo

keman said:
Good luck with the blackworm. They stink if you keep them in the house. I tried a few ways of keeping them and failed. Now I just buy small batches and keep them in a "keeper" in the fridge.
Hahaha worst smell ever!!! I kept them in the garage and every time I would walk by I smelt them and starting looking around to see if an animal got into my garage and died!! Haha then I realized it was them, never got any again..

Hefateus

I keep them in two clear plastic shoe boxes with air stones under my aqaurium. They havent started stinking yet but there is still time! lol They each have about 4 inches of water in them. I plan to change the water every week and use water from the aquarium water changes. Ill keep you updated if it works out for me.

clifford

I've tried a few methods for keeping blackworms, including some fairly elaborate culture tanks with various specialized conditions. If you aren't ready to set up a large volume of water, I think it's more cost effective (both in terms of time and money) to pick them up at a local shop. If you find something that works, be sure to share it. There isn't much good info online. (lab conditions with paper towels are NO way to grow blackworms)

Not that it would be practical for everyone, but a medium or larger sized top-feeding predator tank is an excellent environment to grow blackworms. My 75 gallon (hosting 1 medium sized arowana) is full of them. I don't think I've purchased any in months, but the tank has thousands each time I harvest (typically weekly). I've seen the arowana grab them in the water column, but it doesn't seem to care about them in the pea gravel (covering a large portion of the substrate) at all. Living with a large top feeder the worms have a great opportunity to not be eaten and a continual supply of excess nutrients in the tank to encourage growth. Also, most predator tanks necessitate good filtration and somewhat regular water changes, (although I'm a bit lax with changes), so the conditions are good for production.

The fact that the worms proliferate by segmentation also helps. The act of harvesting seems to help the population increase. For me, pea gravel (~5mm) works well as a substrate. They can anchor to it easily and don't have a hard time digging in quickly to avoid predation. When scooped through with a net for harvesting (I basically run a net through the gravel a bit to move them into the water column and then scoop them out with the net, usually while I'm vacuuming the substrate) the disturbance seems to cause more segmentation and yield. You can visibly see a carpet of worms in the substrate of the tank, with higher concentrations in the areas under which feeding regularly occurs.

Again, not a great solution unless you happen to want an arowana (or something similar) and also keep some blackworms around for smaller fish...but it's a data point...

Hefateus

So far It looks like the amount of black worms have increased by 50% in my main culture. I started them about 2 weeks ago and have changed the water in them 2 times. Which for me means that i dumped all but a half an inch out and added water from my 72gal planted tank so that there was 3 inches covering the bottom of the container. . I only add food every 3rd day or so and that seems to be working. So far no smells. But there are not that many worms as of yet.