Hello from Port Townsend

GreenMan

Hi all, Peter here, also known as Varen. I discovered this forum through Angelo at Farmland and wanted to sign up and say hi to all the fish people in the area. I haven't kept an aquarium in a long time and just purchased a used 45 gallon and stand from a long-time fish keeper in Tacoma.

I'm currently setting up and should begin cycling in a week and am seriously considering my stocking options. Since I'm a noobie at this (but feel quite capable for the challenge) I'd love some stocking ideas from anyone wishing to contribute.

My current favorites are rose line sharks, rams, rainbows and community schooling fish. I am very sensitive to the needs of the fish and companionship issues and won't really be considering Angels since I feel my tank is too small for a group.

I'm also looking for some plant ideas and would love to find some red leaf plants if anyone has any to share/sell.

clownie

Welcome Peter! looks like you're starting off right. just take your time and you will have a beautiful tank in no time! I currently run a heavily planted cube featuring rose line shrks and i can tell you they will eat some plants. They wiped out all my glosso and our now turning there attention on my star grass. They leave bacopa, rotala alone.

GreenMan

Clownie, just wondering how big is your cube and how many rose lines do you have? Any other species in with them?

GreenMan

Sounds like a great tank. The pics look great, what's an SAE? Do you think I could fit 4-6 rose lines in my 45, with some other fish, of course, but I'm trying to decide on my "anchor" fish and I happen to really love the rose lines. ;)

Cole

Sounds like a great tank. The pics look great, what's an SAE? Do you think I could fit 4-6 rose lines in my 45, with some other fish, of course, but I'm trying to decide on my "anchor" fish and I happen to really love the rose lines. ;)

Welcome, Peter!

SAE = Siamese algae eater.

Gizmo

Welcome Peter! I live in Bremerton, and I can provide some sprigs of ludwigia repens if you need them, and I know they're not for everyone, but I can spare some Red Cherry Shrimp as well, if you'd like.

FishBeast

Hi all, Peter here, also known as Varen. I discovered this forum through Angelo at Farmland and wanted to sign up and say hi to all the fish people in the area. I haven't kept an aquarium in a long time and just purchased a used 45 gallon and stand from a long-time fish keeper in Tacoma.

I'm currently setting up and should begin cycling in a week and am seriously considering my stocking options. Since I'm a noobie at this (but feel quite capable for the challenge) I'd love some stocking ideas from anyone wishing to contribute.

My current favorites are rose line sharks, rams, rainbows and community schooling fish. I am very sensitive to the needs of the fish and companionship issues and won't really be considering Angels since I feel my tank is too small for a group.

I'm also looking for some plant ideas and would love to find some red leaf plants if anyone has any to share/sell.
Welcome Peter/Varen! Roselines are a great choice! If you like colorful schoolers also consider Odessa barbs, very pretty, maybe 8-10 of them. If not, get 6 Boesemani or Red Irian rainbowfish. Then for the bottom some small catfish or loaches... Plant heavily and enjoy!

[QUOTE="My current favorites are rose line sharks, rams, rainbows and community schooling fish. I am very sensitive to the needs of the fish and companionship issues and won't really be considering Angels since I feel my tank is too small for a group.
[/QUOTE]
Welcome Peter, I'm new here too. Just wanted to add that if you like angels don't be afraid of keeping them. I started out in this hobby with angels and kept them for years very successfully in a 36 gallon tank. They are a bit harder to keep than the others you mentioned, but it only takes research and patience. People online do try to scare beginners away from them, but if you're committed to it, go for it.

GreenMan

Thanks everyone. It's great to find a local board like this (even though I'm in PT). I look forward to getting to know you all in the future. BTW, my tank is STILL cycling and haven't seen even the slightest hint of ammonia in nearly 3 weeks. I've started feeding the water more bloodworms but the water is clear as crystal and plants are growing like crazy! I'm thinking they're sucking up the excess ammonia for now. More updates later.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Thanks everyone. It's great to find a local board like this (even though I'm in PT). I look forward to getting to know you all in the future. BTW, my tank is STILL cycling and haven't seen even the slightest hint of ammonia in nearly 3 weeks. I've started feeding the water more bloodworms but the water is clear as crystal and plants are growing like crazy! I'm thinking they're sucking up the excess ammonia for now. More updates later.

And pics! Don't forget the pictures!