Hello from Marysville

17mars

Hello! Found this forum a couple of weeks ago while googling Aquarium Co-op to get the hours. Only just got around to joining but have been learning a lot.
I've had fish for over 40 years. Was heavily into saltwater while at Uni. in Calif. (back when salt was *really* hard.) Gave up saltwater when I moved back to WA after college.
Currently have a heavily planted low tech 55, a planted 10 with a vicious betta, a newish planted 5 w/ blue velvet shrimp only and I'm starting a planted 2.5 nano (no fish). Can you tell I like plants? But can't be bothered with C02. I'm lazy.
Look forward to reading more here.
Marci

Hi Marci, I'm new here too. Have you tried CO2 before? I didn't for a long time, but I started a DIY CO2 generator on my 29 gallon recently and I really can't argue with the results I've gotten.
I'm in Bellingham btw. Not too far north of you

Last edited:

FishBeast

Welcome! This is a fun and friendly community! Plants can grow well without CO2, it just takes longer. I fertilize and also run a split lighting schedule to keep algae under control. There is also a cheap CO2 system you can get from eBay or Amazon that works well. Just need 2 soda bottles, baking soda and citric acid!

Loren

I went the paintball canister route and have it routed into the tank through a canister filter. The equipment is on kitchen counter and surprisingly does not take up a lot of space. My only complaint with CO2 is algae. I have spent the past months picking it off on a daily basis and treating with Excel. I now have my light on risers which helps some and the lights are only on for 5 1/2 hours per day. I think that i have gotten it mostly under control but it is sad that my favorite tank can only be visible for such a short amount of time each day.

17mars

Thanks for the welcomes and replies, everyone... still not going to do C02. My idea of fish keeping is pruning a few plants then propping my feet up on the aquarium shelf and just enjoying the view.

FishBeast

Thanks for the welcomes and replies, everyone... still not going to do C02. My idea of fish keeping is pruning a few plants then propping my feet up on the aquarium shelf and just enjoying the view.
Totally doable! This is my planted tank that used to have CO2. Algae got out of control. I stopped CO2 and ran a split lighting schedule and this is the result.
FullSizeRender 8.jpg FullSizeRender 9.jpg FullSizeRender 10.jpg

Last edited:

FishBeast

I went the paintball canister route and have it routed into the tank through a canister filter. The equipment is on kitchen counter and surprisingly does not take up a lot of space. My only complaint with CO2 is algae. I have spent the past months picking it off on a daily basis and treating with Excel. I now have my light on risers which helps some and the lights are only on for 5 1/2 hours per day. I think that i have gotten it mostly under control but it is sad that my favorite tank can only be visible for such a short amount of time each day.
Hi Loren! I do a split lighting cycle on one of my tanks (4 hours on, 4 off, 4 on then 12 off). That way the lights are on in the morning and in the evening when I get home from work. Algae very well controlled and water is clear!

L190

I do that will all of my tanks; planted with co2, planted without co2 and non planted tank. Keeps the algae down and I get to enjoy the fish when i am home.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Hello! Found this forum a couple of weeks ago while googling Aquarium Co-op to get the hours. Only just got around to joining but have been learning a lot.
I've had fish for over 40 years. Was heavily into saltwater while at Uni. in Calif. (back when salt was *really* hard.) Gave up saltwater when I moved back to WA after college.
Currently have a heavily planted low tech 55, a planted 10 with a vicious betta, a newish planted 5 w/ blue velvet shrimp only and I'm starting a planted 2.5 nano (no fish). Can you tell I like plants? But can't be bothered with C02. I'm lazy.
Look forward to reading more here.
Marci

I'm with ya, Marci! I can't be bothered with CO2 either. My plants - so far - are growing like weeds - I even have a bloom on my Anubias Nana Petite. I use Easy Green and Easy Iron from Aquarium Co-op.

17mars

I had an anubias nana bloom recently too! Currently using Flourish twice a week but plan to switch to Easy Green. I've got the Finnex Planted + 24/7. No algae issues so far but I do have a lot of otocinclus to help. I love the look of that light

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I had an anubias nana bloom recently too! Currently using Flourish twice a week but plan to switch to Easy Green. I've got the Finnex Planted + 24/7. No algae issues so far but I do have a lot of otocinclus to help. I love the look of that light

It's fun when they thrive, isn't it??