Hello comes with news

Jeeperman

Hi guys, I have been a bit busy lately and not had much time to check in, but have had a good past few months. As some of you know I switched from my Malawii to Gibberosa. I had one good sized male, now a little over 10 inches. I bought a wild caught trio about 4 months ago that are maybe 5.5-6 inches, with plans for more soon once I upgrade the tank.
Anyway, they are all doing well, so much so that almost immediately they started to breed. The first female held only 3 days and swallowed. It was her first time so I was not surprised. What surprised me was the second female was holding a month later, also her first time. I figured, if she held she would have a small brood. Well, she held and I stripped her after 25 or so days not wanting the fry eaten if she spit in the tank. All went well and I now have 21 happy little Mpimbwe Blue fry.
DSC0909912.jpg

Last edited:

Jeeperman

It is currently a 90gal but apparently they are quite happy with it. =} Plan is to go to 125 or 180 in the near future.

VElderton

Another well lit and clear picture! What is your camera set-up. By the way what Synodontis sp. is that in your tank?

VElderton

Thanks ... good information and I like your web-link. Do you think the S. multipunctatus might sneak a few of their eggs into one of those big Frontosa mouth's? I met a breeder lately from Vancouver Is. that found Tropheus sp. were wise to the ways of S. multipunctatus so he raised them using Malawi Mbuna as the host female.

Jeeperman

I know he tries to steal eggs but mu male is pretty good at running him off. I thought he was going to bite him in two. lol so far it has not been an issue.

VElderton

Another photo question ... how did you deal with the lighting? Is it a special set-up or is your camera fast enough to get that great lighting without any special set-up.

Jeeperman

With the shot of the fry I just used the pop up flash as there was not enough light to get a quality shot. I just found an angle that the reflection was manageable, even with a 2.8 lens. With the shot of pop, I used a remote flash. I put the flash above the tank pointing down and to the side.

Jeeperman

Thanks Vicki. Are you talking about that Redwing Blackbird on the cattails? That is the one that popped up on the link.
PM me your email.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Thanks Vicki. Are you talking about that Redwing Blackbird on the cattails? That is the one that popped up on the link.
PM me your email.

That's the one. Stunning. One of my fav birds -- but then, I love them all. (Major Bird Maniac here) My mother bought a painting from a guy who did a similar pose and it's one of my favorite paintings of all time. Watercolor. Just beautiful. It hung in my living room until she moved into her own apartment. Sad to see that painting go!

vickikettle01@gmail.com I don't need to PM. There's no weirdos here or whackadoodles in the marvelous WA Fish Box! lol