Heaters ARGH also advice

KaraWolf

Decent heater brand for a 55? That I can get in stores in the JBLM area any side of base. Need to go buy a new one asap....Pretty sure mine just zapped 4 of my lemon tetras, hopefully the one still breathing pulls through. Too old for a warenty unfortunately. Highly irritated considering I just put 6 in to complete the school not 2 weeks ago and pretty sure I lost a dominant male. EXTREMELY glad my RTS Mojo Jojo seems to be unfazed. :(

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I just went through this discussion on a couple forums since I need to get new heaters for four of my tanks. There a couple brands suggested but Eheim Jager pulled WAY ahead on any recommendation from 3 different forums. Cory said in 2 years of the shop being open he has only had one, a single Jager heater returned for not working properly. I'm only going with Jager for my future purchases.

Caseyf

ShortyKiloGyrl said:
I just went through this discussion on a couple forums since I need to get new heaters for four of my tanks. There a couple brands suggested but Eheim Jager pulled WAY ahead on any recommendation from 3 different forums. Cory said in 2 years of the shop being open he has only had one, a single Jager heater returned for not working properly. I'm only going with Jager for my future purchases.

Good to know for the next one. Thanks

keman

I prefer heaters with controls outside the tank. Less moving parts and/or O-rings to fail underwater.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I like the SERA heaters. They have a nice heater guard, are smaller in size and well built. Problem is you have to buy them online. No store seems to carry them on their shelf.

Betty

Staff member
Holdmybeerwatchthis said:
I have a Fluval, and it seems to work great for me. The mirror finish looks great in the tank. I've only had it about 18 months though, so I can't speak to the longevity. Sorry for the loss.

***Edit*** Here is the exact unit I bought. 150W for 45 gallon tank. http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-M-150-Watt ... heater+150
I'm curious if you have this heater fully submersed? I have one of these and after I got it, I saw that it had a minimum and maximum fill line. I read in the reviews that some people have used if fully submerged, but I've been afraid to try that.

Caseyf

Yeah, it has been fully submerged many times for days on end. The little clip is a little week, but I've got it propped up against the middle support on the tank. I haven't had any problems with it.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Something else that was noted on all of the forums I asked on was using two or more 100w heaters instead of a single heater for a tank. Which is what I already did because I liked the even heating and less stress on one heater to keep up a 75 gallon tank. I guess in the Europe area (can't remember specific location) they don't use anything above 100w heaters they just add more heaters as necessary to heat the amount of water desired.

KaraWolf

finally got in to Aquarium Paradise yesterday and picked up a 200w ehiem jager. Would have got a 150 but they were out. Lost a total of 5 lemon tetras and I think they're done dying off as there were none struggling today or yesterday. Had nightmares about losing my RTS but shes back where she belongs under her ledge now that the temp is back to normal. They even had lemon tetra on sale there so I picked up some replacements :) One day thus tank will make it to fully stocked.....apparently that is going to be forever from now.