Hatching Mystery Snails

lingotheowl

So I recently made a hatchery out of two betta cups to hatch my mystery snails. They hatched and a bunch of them ended up at the bottom but none of them have been moving around anymore so I'm worried that they didn't make it. Any way to know for sure if they are alive? I put a few tiny algae pellets and a small amount of fish flakes at the bottom for food. Not sure if that may have caused a problem?

pbmax

Given the large number of replies, I'll relate my useless experience. :)

I have no idea. I've had the exact same problem multiple times (the little ones all die), and from what I've read it really shouldn't be all that difficult. You're using super shallow water too...that would be my only recommendation. Some folks have a ton of luck with them, some folks just don't.

Hey, this is Angela. If any more egg clutches pop up I'll shoot you a message through Facebook.

Here is my experience:
My first attempt was a DIY snail hatchery that was made with two repurposed plastic containers, specifically Sour Cream. 3 egg clutches, all hatched, and lasted just over a week. I am not 100% sure if it was because no one changed the water while I was in having my surgery. Biggest sign was that they were all on the bottom and none were sticking if I tipped the container a little. The smell was like stagnant sea water but not stink like you get from a dead adult snail.

Round two hatch attempted has gone well. Three clutches hatched, with a 4th possibly hatching now. What worked for me was hatching in a cycled 10 gallon fish tank and using a betta leaf, since I had plucked them off. I've recently heard of others using inexpensive shower soap dishes, which you might find at the dollar store, and it apparently works really well.