Guess the deficiency

Soundline

thought this might be fun. So I obviously have some deficiencies in my tank, I’m pretty sure I have pinned down what’s going on and got some seachem products today to help fix the issue.

I use flourish and flourish excel.

What would you do and use if your plants looked like this?

F94C7739-08CF-4456-85DB-FBEC75743C90.jpeg 3F35EAAB-9F5F-4A98-A0F7-1A9EB3BF09CF.jpeg

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi soundline,

Let's see: interveinal chlorosis on new growth (typically an iron deficiency); new leaves showing puckering (typically a calcium deficiency); leaf tips 'hooking downward' (typically a calcium deficiency).

To resolve these conditions I would start by adding Seachem Equilibrium to your tank. Add sufficient to increase the hardness by 2.0 dGH; 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Add twice the first week; then add when doing water changes (if adding 10 gallons of new water add 1 teaspoon). Equilibrium contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese. If the interveinal chlorosis continues happening on new leaves as they emerge even after adding the Equilibrium then add Seachem Flourish Iron. Typically one dose per week should provide sufficient iron along with the iron in the Equilibrium. Don't expect plant leaves that have already formed to change, they likely will not. Watch the new leaves as they emerge for positive changes.

These are not uncommon deficiencies here in the Northwest with our very soft water. Questions? Just ask!

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Soundline,

What specifically did you pick up? I don't know any LFS that sell calcium sulfate and most reef/marine calcium products are calcium carbonate based with are great for corals since they are made from calcium carbonate but are difficult to impossible for plants to uptake as a nutrient.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I'm lazy. I would squirt some Aquarium Co-Op Easy Iron and Easy Green in there - per the directions.

No complaints here.