GSAS B-I-G Annual General Auction

Bob

I would recommend joining. It's only $15 a year and a lot of the local stores give 10% off to members. So it pays for itself very quickly. And like Roy said, the speakers are amazing and there are quite a few videos available in the GSAS library.

Betty

Staff member
I recommend joining as well.

For this big auction, I would also recommend getting there early enough to check out all the items that will be auctioned and make a note of what you're interested in and pay attention once the auction starts! Things can go quickly. And stay till the end if you can. I've gotten some very good deals that way. :D

mickyfree

SonicsDC25 said:
Vicmacki said:
I just checked the list. Only africans i see are Neolamprologus multifasciatus, nothing from Malawi

Darn, was hoping to score some nice peacocks or haps, ah well still goin either way :)

Hey dude, hope the red empress I sold ya awhile back is doing well. What time you showing up at the swap? Maybe I will catch ya there.

mickyfree said:
Hey dude, hope the red empress I sold ya awhile back is doing well. What time you showing up at the swap? Maybe I will catch ya there.

Just for clarity...this event is an auction sponsored by GSAS to support the GSAS.

The swap meet is an event brought on by several enthusuaists and not sponsored by any particular group. Money collected there for tables is totally for renting the room.

Seattle_Aquarist

Wow, up to 170 items and we haven't even the last minute folks (like me) start to input!

More generous donations for GSAS Sponsor Stores

From Midway Tropical Fish - 3 new HOB Filters, Foods, Additives
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv36%3A94%3Enu%3D3369%3E787%3E264%3EWSNRCG%3D3756%3A85775338nu0mrj

From Sierra Fish and Pets - $50 gift card
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A%3B%3C6%3Enu%3D3369%3E787%3E264%3EWSNRCG%3D3756%3A8%3A67%3A338nu0mrj

Some have asked, so here is what I'm entering...

Items:
#749-01 Odysea 24" t5 fixture - needs 1 ballast + bulbs
#749-02 48" Fluorescent Light Fixture with 4 extra bulbs
#749-03 48" Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture
#749-04 8 Gallon aquarium
#749-05 Texas Holey Rock - Personally Collected in San Antonio
#749-06 Texas Holey Rock-Personally Collected in San Antonio
#749-07 Digital TDS meter
#749-08 Original Pencil Sketch - Royal Pleco
#749-09 Original Pencil Sketch - Betta splendens
#749-10 Large piece of driftwood
#749-11 Driftwood/bogwood
#749-12 Malawi fish artifacts - pen, letter opener, bottle opener
#749-13 10 Separately bagged easy-grow plants - including 2 mosses
#749-14 Fluval Chi Aquarium
#749-15 Staurogyne bihar- 22'' plant with several stems
#749-16 Polygonum (Persicaria) presicaria - 1 stem
#749-17 Pelvicachromis taeniatus juvenals -5 each
#749-18 3 Adult skunk corys
#749-19 5 Red Cherry Shrimp
#749-20 5 Tangerine Colored Shrimp
#749-21 Echinodorus "rubin" ??? - 1 plant
#749-22 Bunch o' Backings for tanks

keman

Well, I for one SCORED!!!

Won the 12 gallon Marineland complete tank kit, AND the 93 gallon rimless cube tank. Both on my $20 buy in of raffle tickets.. Picked up a ton of other stuff very reasonably and was out the door for just under $200 out of pocket.
Not 100% sure of the plan for the big rimless tank. I may trade or sell to start a reptile project I have had in mind for some time.

We had a really good time at the auction and got to see some old friends as well as some younger ones too... ;)

SonicsDC25

Real fun time at the auction, though did the Coralife cp2900 wavemaker ever sell? Waited 6 hours and didn't see it up for auction, don't think I missed it O_O

Bob

I got a coralife dc2600 wavemaker, if thats what you are referring to, i got it within the first hour i think.

SonicsDC25

Nah it's a cp2900, was still checking it out on the table well past noon (was also checking out the koralia 550, but didn't need it as much as the cp2900). I did end up with some nice things, but this one was my biggest need since it was for my 140g african tank o_o all in all fun day though :)

keman

Vicmacki said:
I thought that was you. Did you find a way to squeeze it into your caddy?

Image-1-25.jpg

Nope, it did not fit in the cad, even if I had not bought so much stuff, the tank would not have fit. Ron was kind enough to transport it to Fed way.. I will pick it up from him today if he has time.

keman

Pretty sure I am going to sell this tank to fund another project. I really don't have a space for it right now.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi keman,

I'm glad you were able to make it and had a great time; I am always glad to see a new member or guest will prizes! To those of you that missed it; hopefully we will see you next time.

Our generous GSAS Sponsor Stores, national donors, and GSAS members provided 900 items which we auctioned in 5-3/4 hours - just over 2-1/2 items every minute.....it is fast paced! There were complete set-ups, rare species of fish and plants, new and used equipment, fish related artwork, even old metal frame tanks. We raffled a new 93 gallon rimless cube (won by keman), lights, gift certificates, and nano tanks.

We use the monies we raise to fund our various club programs like C.A.R.E.S. and placing aquariums in schools to help educate and garner the interest of the younger generation about our hobby. We also bring in outstanding speakers, including international speakers, for our members and guests to help expand their interest and enjoyment of the hobby.

The next guest speaker that we have the opportunity to host will be Kris Weinhold (AKA Guitarfish) from the aquarium club in the "other Washington" - GWAPA. He will be at our regular meeting on on May 12th!