Green Water Tank

LuminousAphid

Here is the 20 gallon I have set up outside, it gets some morning and afternoon sun but I try to cover it by 2 or so because it gets toasty. Lately there has been a nice bloom of green water, and I am looking for advice on how to possibly keep this going, and would there be any live food that could sustain itself on green water and provide food for the guppies I have in there?

Tank has guppies x 30 or so of mostly smaller ones, and then some guppy grass and water hyacynth on top to soak up excess waste. There is some ludwigia trying to grow over on the right, and it's very red from the sun, but not growing that well

CQk2juH.jpg

zI2H4gv.jpg

I feed the tank a pinch of hikari micro pellets and some repashy that I have left frozen once in a while, and do water changes about every 2 weeks, probably 50 per cent

KaraWolf

should be able to sustain fish. I have endlers in a 30 bucket outside with water so green you cans see more then an inch or 2 and while I don't feed it they have had a couple of batches in one while the other is weirdly not reproducing.

MRTom

Wow, I have not been this lucky in the green water department yet. Can you share more details on how you got it started? Is it getting direct sunlight, and did you fert to start it off?

LuminousAphid

Sorry it took my a while to reply, I have been rather distracted lately

I just have it outside, usually cover it with a cardboard backing from a poster frame during the hot part of the day--after about 1pm--and I have used a little bit of fertilizer to start, but mainly just feeding hikari micro pellets and some sinking stuff too. I was feeding lots of frozen food at first, but now I have used all of it and don't have the budget to keep buying the little frozen food blister packs. So I just feed dry stuff and occasionally some repashy.

It's gettign darker, probably time I should do a big water change because I haven't in a while. There are about 7 good sized water hyacynth and also duckweed and azolla, so I can get away with waiting a little longer

LuminousAphid

So far even after moving it inside, the green water has survived, but I think it will start to die off with the decrease in light levels. Here is a video of what it looks like now that I have moved it inside for the fall
[youtube]PC6U60jQHf8[/youtube]

MRTom

Good luck on the move inside. Did you get a chance to put it by a window so it at least gets some sun?

LuminousAphid

Not enough to keep it really green like it was... it's now started to clear up, and I think the direct sun was the main reason it lasted as long as it did. On the plus side, now that it's getting more clear, I have a chance to actually see the guppies that I raised in the tank haha

9uni2xW.jpg

I never noticed how precarious the stand for this tank looks.... I usually see it more from above and it's not as noticable