Got that giant tank?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I had seen those and thought, 'wow, who can raise those out to adulthood?'

Im wondering if its the same guy trying to sell this:

Olympia area also... different tank than the other fish but again another beast of a fish in the future. Would love a baby Arapaima Gigas!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I had seen those and thought, 'wow, who can raise those out to adulthood?'

Im wondering if its the same guy trying to sell this:

Olympia area also... different tank than the other fish but again another beast of a fish in the future. Would love a baby Arapaima Gigas!
These are amazing. I saw them at the aquarium in Vegas about 20 years ago.

I fell in love with them, but I’ll never own an aquarium, pool, pond, or lake that could house them!

I’m actually really surprised that someone was able to get one as I thought they weren’t allowed in the aquarium trade for sheer size alone.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I’m actually really surprised that someone was able to get one as I thought they weren’t allowed in the aquarium trade for sheer size alone.
Actually Ive seen them for sale online quite often... and sadly much cheaper than you think they should be. This only encourages the bad behavior of buying fish that no one can really keep.

John58Ford

Florida fish and wildlife asks that anglers that catch arapaima retain and eat them. They aren't reproducing/invasive there but apparently enough people ran out of space in the kiddie pool and dumped them so now they have guidance.

This might sound very non wet pet like but I've raised both rabbit and pig and eaten them so.... I guess if I could somehow keep a 15'x15'x3' or larger body of water up to temperature, I'd be figuring out what to feed a fish to give it the best taste when it out grows the flooded basement we had to keep it in. Imagine all the fertilizer you could get out of that pond, could hook a small irrigation system to it and run full size sprinklers for water change day...

hyp3rcrav3

I saw another monster fish from the same area but now I forget what it was. Some body had no idea what they were getting or the had illusions of getting a giant tank (that costs as much as a car) or someone gave the giants to them as a joke. Anyway, odd.

Addendum; It was in Bellevue.

BPSabelhaus

I actually want to try cuy but I'm pretty sure that's a South America only adventure lol

I've eaten iguana tacos in Mexico, while having two iguanas with an entire room (office/ computer room) to themselves back in Michigan lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This might sound very non wet pet like but I've raised both rabbit and pig and eaten them so....
I actually want to try cuy but I'm pretty sure that's a South America only adventure lol
My wife's sister is married to a man from Ecuador. On one of our visit's to see her we had 'Cuy'...

dsc04014 (1).jpg
The person who prepared it for us deep fried it, but I think it might have been better to have BBQ'd or smoked instead.
The funny part of the story was that us group of Americans had our little leg of meat, pretty much like an individual chicken wing and made the comment that there wasnt much to these little guys. One of the native indigenous of the family waited for us to eat and then started to go at all the meat that was left... on the head. eww

hyp3rcrav3

I've eaten iguana tacos in Mexico, while having two iguanas with an entire room (office/ computer room) to themselves back in Michigan lol
I've eaten turtle soup in a restaurant in Chicago. When turtle wasn't available it was mock turtle but that was before bovine encephalitis was endemic (calf brains). I've eaten iguana in Mexico. I've has rattle snake and alligator. Had eel, Chocolate covered ants, and salted grasshoppers. I love experimenting.

BPSabelhaus

I've eaten turtle soup in a restaurant in Chicago. When turtle wasn't available it was mock turtle but that was before bovine encephalitis was endemic (calf brains). I've eaten iguana in Mexico. I've has rattle snake and alligator. Had eel, Chocolate covered ants, and salted grasshoppers. I love experimenting.
Saars in Kent stocks fried grasshoppers. Lime and chili lime flavor. Great taco topper.