Glass cleaners-What are you using? Mag-Float, etc...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Those are very nice but not designed for curved glass.

Magfloat “nano” is one I found for curved... reviews on it not good
92BC7696-B128-420C-977F-4E3F8EA29932.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive used various white pads before. I dont want to stick my hand in the water. Its for touch ups to keep glass sparkling. Really want a magnet type

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The pads we used went on the wet side of our magnets.
I do that for my 300 gallon but dont really need them on my small tanks. Its still a matter of the curvature of the front glass. Dont know if adding the pad would compensate for that. The fluval one is designed for the weird curved tanks of theirs, want to try it... about $17 at Kens

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The Fluval has a rounded side for curved tanks... but it does not float. I would pull the blade, dont think I need it.

algae_magnet_scraper_medium_800x800_2.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Also found this...
71GiuTeaUmL._AC_SS450_.jpg
So a couple options for curved glass. I will look at a couple reviews and order one of these for the bowfront

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
From all the reviews, I decided to go with the Fluval for the curved bowfront. It had great reviews for a nice strong magnet. Only downside is that it does not float. But seems no need to since it does not come loose. The magfloat nano had bad reviews that the magnet was not strong enough and tons of complaints that workmanship was bad and excessive glue was used and it ended up on the outside of the tank.

Now I wait for my order to come in...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I used a mag float on my 125 yesterday and somehow a smal grain of sand go into between the two magnets and I have a couple of lovely scratches in the acrylic now.... boo

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I used a mag float on my 125 yesterday and somehow a smal grain of sand go into between the two magnets and I have a couple of lovely scratches in the acrylic now.... boo
Yep the fun of sand. I have no bad scratches with medium to larger gravel tanks but sanded tanks all have something. At least with acrylic you can buff it out.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The new Fluval magnet came in... much bigger than expected. I think I could have went with the 'small' size. Will test it out on the bowfront later.
IMG_20210325_172950665_BURST000_COVER.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just a follow up with the Fluval magnet. I took the scraper blade off and just used it as a glass cleaner. It has a nice powerful magnet, you never feel like its going to drop, at least on the glass thickness of the bowfront. The rounded side worked great on the curve of the bowfront. This magnet has a fuzzy material on the inside and outside, unlike the mag-float that had the hard bristle for the inside. With my BN pleco in the tank I don’t really need this too much but it does work well.