From lurker to poster

jriechel

Hey, thought I'd actually make an introduction, especially since I expect I'll be pestering the good folks of this forum for help.

I'm a high school science teacher in Marysville and have been in the District for 28 years, the last 20 at Marysville Pilchuck HS. I grew up in Kent. I had several aquariums in my teens, which were inspired by a 10 gal community tank that my father maintained for a few years, I guess when I was especially impressionable. I had a couple of 20's and a 10 gal that I attempted to have, at various times, a community tank, a planted tank, Jack Dempseys, and a RB Piranha back in the good old days when they were available around here. I wasn't very successful on any of those fronts, looking back on it primarily due to complete lack of knowledge about what I was doing. I just stumbled and fumbled along.

In my dorm at the UW, I brought my 10 gal and set it up with a Black Moor and Red Capped Oranda with I think water sprite as the plant. The water supplied by Seattle was a huge improvement over what I had in Kent. I accidently discovered this when the plants grew extremely well, requiring me to pitch about half of them every week just to keep swimming area open for the fish. I was ecstatic. I finally had a successful aquarium. Successful enough to get voted the best dorm room on the floor in our semi-annual/semi-party voting day.

The next 25 years contained no aquariums. Career, family, kids, houses, cars, pets, all conspired to prevent one. Last summer, I purchased a 15 gal "cube" that I set up in an attempt to have as a planted tank. Though not as successful as I was hoping, at least the plants grow. Here's what I looks like tonight:

t7bhn9.jpg

What looks like cloudiness in the water is actually glare off the floor lamp my wife was reading by when I snapped the pic.

Additionally, I just set up a 55 gal in my classroom a few weeks ago. It finished cycling a little over a week ago and it now has 3 cories and a very small threadfin squeaker. I'm still deciding on what else I want to stock in it. I really wanted piranhas again, but I recently discovered that some "genius" thinks that they're going to invade our waterways and banned them. Interesting that Oregon doesn't seem to be worried.

Oh well, I'll have to keep mulling that one over. That's about it for now. Good to be here and I look forward to talking to you.

Jeff

Madness

Staff member
Welcome. And may i ask a question? Do you want the Piranha because of its aggressiveness or because you just like the look? I ask because there are over a hundred new world cichlids that would tear a piranha up, and they are far more personable, and better looking. ;)

Drd62

Welcome aboard. Madness is right. Several New World Cichlids would shred a piranha apart, plus IMO they are boring unless they are in a large shoal.

MRTom

Welcome aboard! I see you're doing something interesting with your filter and some hose. What's the story there?

jriechel

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Madness, a piranha is mix of things. Nostalgia for my youth is certainly part of it. However, I'll admit that so too is the association with their behavior as being ferocious terrors during part of their season, which I know from experience does not translate into aquarium behavior. They really are skittish and timid, at least outside of a school. I actually like their looks with the metallic scales and red bellies. And since that tank is in my classroom, I know my students would find a piranha interesting too. Yes, there are many other cool fish to consider as well, and I'll go that route, especially since they are illegal here. What substitutions would you recommend?

MRTom, nothing very interesting is really going on with my filter pickup. I just didn't like the idea of the pickup being directly under the return and water just cycling in the upper region of the tank. I added an extension so that the intake screen is closer to the bottom to get a better circulation in the tank.

bad-daddio, missed you by a couple of years then. I was at MMS at the time.

Jeff

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
A school of bucktooth tetra (Exodon) can have a very similar effect as piranha but are legal. Not cheap to get a school of these....

Madness

Staff member
If you have said it already, I do apologize for asking lol. What age group do you teach? What school? (not that it matters, just curious)

I grew up in Kent as well, out in Covington actually, graduated from Kentwood.

Again apologize if you already said this, but what size tank is in your class?

And yes, I agree, there are a lot of species this wonderful state makes illegal that I would love to keep.

KaraWolf

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing!! About those Piranah I think it's funny that Alaska seems to be just as against them as Wa. LOL like they'd survive for a few hours...let alone breed. The only reason I know this is I got really bored one day combined with the fact that my mom also had them before they were illegal.

jriechel

bad-daddio, I think you misunderstood; I was a teacher at MMS when you were in high school. Don't worry, I've got several years on you!

Madness, I teach chem and physics at Marysville Pilchuck HS. When I graduated from Kentridge, Kentwood and Kentlake didn't even exist. It was just us and KM. I think I heard they just built another one too.

I've got a 55 gal in my classroom. Got it for practically free at Goodwill, and since I had some leftover laminate flooring after replacing all the carpeting in my home, I used that for a stand and hood. I'll post a pic when I get a chance to snap one. I'd have done that in my original post, except that this forum provider doesn't allow my iPad to access my Camera Roll to upload pics. Neither does TinyPic that I also use.

Jeff

Madness

Staff member
So with it being a 55gal, the options are a bit limited. What type of fish would you like? Big? Aggressive? Personable? Colorful? Or a pair that will spawn so that the kids can see it? Peaceful?

jriechel

Yeah, a bigger tank would be nice, but you should see the size of my room. Some call it The Closet.

I was thinking that a couple of Oscars would have been perfect in terms of behavior and presence, but that 120 gal wasn't going to fit! I suppose personable first, big-ish (like you said, it is only a 55). Having them spawn would be fantastic! Colorful would be a plus, but next on the list. Oh, and it would need to get along with the cories, squeaker, and Pleco that are already in there.

I don't think I narrowed things down very well.

Thanks for being willing to put some thought into this.

Jeff