Freebie 145, planted tank

zach_discus

IMG_1048.JPG

Hello all, so this will be my log for the freebie 145 I picked up from Cory at Aquarium Co-Op. stand and canopy were in pretty rough shape due to the tank flooding. I took the stand apart and replaced all the MDF panels, and stripped the poly, sanded, than sanded again, and then painted it satin black to match our living room. Canopy is up next!!

Tank is a acrylic tank 60x24x22 with twin overflows. Gave the tank a nice buffing and it's in way better shape than expected!!

Filtration will consist of a large wet/dry with a Jeboa DC6000 return pump.

CO2 injection set up with a Carbon Doser regulator, 10lb cylinder, Aqua-Medic 1000 CO2 reactor. Water supplies from the Jeboa via a manifold.

Lighting will be either my old ATI 6 bulb fixture or I may go LED, yet to be determined

Plan is 10 or so discus, school of rummy nose, school of corys, and octo cats. Plants will be basic with Val, some swords, and java moss with lots of wood.

Last edited:

Seahawks!

Looking fwd to this build. Are you going with variety of discus or all one type? What did you use to buff the tank out with? I got mine sanded pretty well but the final buff out did not turn out that great.

zach_discus

Looking fwd to this build. Are you going with variety of discus or all one type? What did you use to buff the tank out with? I got mine sanded pretty well but the final buff out did not turn out that great.

I did a 3 stage sand starting with 2000grit and finished with 5000, than did stage 1 and 2 of Novus.

Will be a mix of colors. Buying a bunch of smaller fish to grow out for my breeding room. Will be Hans and Forrest stock.

L190

Nice, I restored a 100 acrylic tank with a wet Sander working from 600 to 2000 grit then polished it off with some car product I forgot the name off. It was a lot of work, I hope you didn't have to do too much work on the tank.

zach_discus

A
Nice, I restored a 100 acrylic tank with a wet Sander working from 600 to 2000 grit then polished it off with some car product I forgot the name off. It was a lot of work, I hope you didn't have to do too much work on the tank.

A couple hours is all it took. So fare minus my labor, I'm only about $100 into the project.

zach_discus

Plumbing for wet/dry is done!! Going to try something different for the CO2 reactor. Doing a durso/hurbie overflow set up. Main drain on the right side of tank is a standard durso but with a emergency drain on the right side. Return is a single 1" that's than split between two 3/4 loc-lines with 3" fan ends. This will be a discus tank so not wanting to bash them around a bunch with tons of flow.
IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG