***FREE Presentation*** Rainbowfish - Gary Lange - Tuesday March 11th

Seattle_Aquarist

Gary Lange is one of the most prominent experts on Rainbowfish in the country, as well as a columnist, author, photographer and collector. He's also a professional chemist. Gary has been keeping fish since he was 10, has been associated with the organized hobby for the last 30+ years, and is very active in the Missouri Aquarium Society (MASI). He started the Rainbowfish Study Group of North America (RSG) in 1987. His photos and articles have been published in all the major aquarium magazines.

In 2002 he was the first to import eight new rainbowfish into North America from the world explorer, Heiko Bleher, including the Millennium rainbow, the Zigzag and the dwarf parva rainbowfish. In 2003 he made his second trip to Australia and did some more collecting while there. In 2005 he took the rainbowfish collectors dream trip – collecting in Papua, the western portion of New Guinea. He made another trip back in 2008, recollecting Melanotaenia praecox. A third trip was made in 2010. He brought back fish that have never been seen in the hobby including Chilatherina alleni. On this last trip alone, four new species of rainbowfish were brought back and wait a scientific write up. He is currently running over 90 tanks and keeping over 65 species and locations of rainbowfish and blue-eyes.

Gary's talk with be “Just a Taste of the Most Amazing Tropical Fishes of All: Rainbowfish from Australia and New Guinea”. He'lll go over how to keep, breed and raise rainbowfish. We’ll talk about what foods they like and how to keep them happy and healthy. We’ll go over quite a few of the different species, named and unnamed at the moment from Australia and the island of New Guinea. Every single trip for me and many other explorers are yielding new species of rainbowfish, almost too many to imagine!

The presentation will be Tuesday, March 11th, 2014 at 7:30PM at Seattle Pacific University; Otto Miller Hall; Room 109; West Nickerson Street and 3rd Avenue West in Seattle.

Doors will open about 6:30 PM for a 'social hour'; the meeting will start at 7:30 PM.

The lecture will be followed by a short auction.

Open to the public, no entrance fee

Family friendly but no childcare provided
Free parking, accessible building
No furry or feathered pets
Go to GSAS.ORG for more information and directions

Gary will also giving a second "GSAS Members-Only" meeting. GSAS Members can get information on the event on our GSAS.ORG webpage.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C5%3Enu%3D3369%3E787%3E264%3EWSNRCG%3D3565793934338nu0mrj

Really looking forward to Gary's presentation. He was here before and gave a great presentation. Now he's coming back for another. I like it that he, as well as many of our other noted speakers, contribute to our GSAS Northwest Aquarium newsletter and our email list Airstone. What class!

Beautiful turquoise, Roy!

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

Our regular meeting at SPU on Tuesday, March 11 is open to the public and guests are welcome.  If you are not familiar with the remarkable beauty and diversity of the Rainbowfish species I encourage you to attend this meeting.  Gary Lange is a great speaker and is truly enthusiastic about Rainbowfish.

In addition to the regular GSAS meeting, Gary is doing a second Rainbowfish talk for "GSAS Members Only" on Sunday, March 9th titled ""Extraordinary New Rainbowfish From Papua".  GSAS members will find the time and location here..  If you have not yet joined GSAS now is the time not only for the second extraordinary talk but also for the big General Auction coming up in April!

Caton

I am currently staying with my grandparents in Spokane. Found the house we are going to rent yesterday after searching for a rental for...too long... Going to move in Monday. Not too cold right now.

Once I get my license, I plan on going to GSAS meetings as often as possible....Only a 7 hour drive!  :p 

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

Gary Lange is bringing "GOODIES" to our regular GSAS meeting on Tueday, March 11th and the 'Members Only' meeting on March 9th.  Here is some additional information about the 'Members Only' meeting and some of the species he will be bringing for our club.

Hi GSAS members, Gary Lange here.  I’ll be at the Sunday Members Only Event on Sunday March 9th at 5 pm to talk about collecting rainbowfish in Papua – “Extraordinary New Rainbowfish From Papua, Trip #4”, even more amazing fish, miserable collecting conditions and a money sinkhole”.  You can decide whether the hours on an outrigger to go over the ocean and up the winding rivers was worth it when you see our fish.  Was I worried on this trip when I realized the captain and his boat were gone when we got back to camp?  Even more worried when sundown was less than an hour away and we still hadn’t found the boat?  Yep.  But they were some of the prettiest fish to date that we’ve collected in New Guinea and at least 3 new species to boot!  But you can’t go if you aren’t a member!!  If this doesn’t convince you to become a member I guess nothing will.

I will also be doing a primary talk on “Rainbowfishes from Australia and New Guinea” on the regular Tuesday meeting night March 11th.

I will also try to bring egg kits to BOTH meetings, Sunday night and Tuesday night.  Won’t you be sad if the fish eggs you really wanted were at the Sunday meeting and YOU WEREN’T THERE???  They WILL NOT be these brand new fish offered below so if you want those fish you need to email me and request them.  I have no idea which fish will be laying eggs so don’t ask me if I can bring xx species.  I get them all ready by changing lots of water and feeding heavy and then start picking eggs!  Egg kits have exacting instructions so that even a cichlid person can raise them from eggs :).  First fry food is included and you’ll be expected to hatch live baby brine shrimp for them for their second week food source.  Get some 5 & 10 gallon clean bare tanks ready with heaters set at an accurate 82 degrees F.  One tank per species as one will outgrow the other and the smaller ones will get eaten. See this forum for the hatching instructions and some pics

http://www.missouriaquariumsociety.com/FishHeads_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1396:s54t218h]http://www.missouriaquariumsociety.com/FishHeads_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1396]http://www.missouriaquariumsociety.com/FishHeads_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1396

See your shortly!

RAINBOWFISH FOR SALE –CUTOFF ORDER DATE IS THURSDAY MARCH 6TH!  I arrive at the airport at 9:15 pm Saturday.  If you order fish from me it would be helpful if you arrange to pick them up actually several days before the Tuesday meeting because that is a long time for them to stay in the bag.  I think we are going to Cory’s “Fish Co-op” sometime on Sunday and I think Steve Waldren’s new business too so perhaps you can plan to meet us at one place or the other.  Hey or another good reason to make the member’s only meeting!  Make sure you let us know ahead of time though so we have the fish in tow!

Below is a list of Rainbowfish I currently have available.  There are also some posters available too, see the bottom of the list.  Some fish I only have a few of left at the moment so first come first served.  If you want them send me an email ASAP – gwlange <at>sbcglobal<dot>net I’ll send back a confirming email.  I won’t bring these with me unless they are requested ahead of time.  Pay me when you get the fish, cash please.  Yes some of these are little pricey, but they are also new-to-the-world rainbowfish, some even still unnamed.  They are still certainly a lot cheaper than what some 3rd and 4th generation African Cichlids are going for.  Most of these I have collected myself in New Guinea so you aren’t going to be finding them at your local pet store!  These are fish that don’t show up on the wholesale list and you really can’t go get them yourself. If you could it would cost you over $5,000 to collect them, yeah I’m that crazy about my bows!  

I miss PM's so better to do email.  Email me at gwlange(at)sbcglobal.net

Melanotaenia sp “Wapoga Red Laser” – 2 pair $90 4 groups available

3/4- 1.25 inch.  Juveniles from this tank are now producing viable eggs.

The “Wapoga Red Laser” is a brilliant neon blue on the top portion of its body with a hint of electric violet near the head.  But what truly makes this fish remarkable are the three bold red laser stripes that rip through the blue field showing that it is indeed a very unique rainbowfish.  You might recognize it as a fish that appeared on the front cover of the Rainbowfish Aqualog as M. praecox.  However DNA results have shown that it is a completely different species.  To obtain these fish we went by outrigger along the coast for six hours and then almost another 7 hours up the rivers until they became too narrow to go any further.  At daybreak we started our walk to the collecting area while our boat captain broke camp.  Little did we know that the river at camp had rapidly dropped and captain made the decision to move the boat before it would become hopelessly stuck.  He moved it many miles downstream!  After we got back to our abandoned camp we had to walk 5 hours through a jungle with no paths to rejoin the boat, arriving just minutes before sunset.  I think when you see this fish for yourself swimming in your aquarium you will know that the effort was worth it.  

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/AB-Rainbowfishes/Mel%20sp%20Wapoga%20Red%20Laser/Mel_sp_WapogaRedLaser_AB_1700.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/Mel_sp_Wapoga_StP_CW_M_0939.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/Mel_sp_WapogaStP_CW_0890.jpg

CHILATHERINA ALLENI “WAPOGA RIVER” – 8 unsexed F-1 fish 1-1.5 inch $75 also Juveniles 1.5+” 2 pair for $80.

You will get both boys and girls in the mix with the unsexed fish.  While we were sloshing through the tiny mud creeks to collect our prized “Wapoga Red Laser” Melanotaenia rainbowfish we were also collecting this beautiful yellow with red finned Chilatherina alleni.  This fish also appeared on the front cover of the Rainbowfish Aqualog and has been lusted after by rainbowfish enthusiasts for almost 10 years.  Our wild caught fish are just getting big enough to start showing some of the amazing colors that we saw on the too large to keep adult fish.  The larger adults in addition to a brilliant yellow body and red tipped fins also had a sort of “red-dyed” look on portions of their body, like they had been red-stained just below their dorsal.  You can see it in some of the photos posted but doesn’t show up on the fish until they get much older.  Like their bluish cousins from Siriwo these alleni from Wapoga are extremely active and in constant motion.  They are just amazing to watch.  Just like most other rainbowfish they are easy to keep and breed, just perform quality water changes and feed them well.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/AB-Rainbowfishes/Chil_alleni_Wapoga/Chil_alleni_Wapoga_Mcw_0943.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/AB-Rainbowfishes/Chil_alleni_Wapoga/Chil_alleni_Wapoga_0535.jpg

MELANOTAENIA SP ( LUBAN VILLAGE) – 6 unsexed F-1 fish ~1.5 inch 6/$50     4 groups available.

These fish are somewhat related to Mel. vanheurni but DNA is different enough to again be a new species.  Every time I go to Papua our missionary pilot friend brings us a new fish from an area where we aren’t collecting.  This is a fish from the Mamberambo river drainage on the north side of Papua, Luban Village.  My breeders are only 2.5 inches and look nicer every day.  When chasing the females the males get a very intense orange.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/Mel_sp_LubanVillage_0227.jpg
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/Mel_sp_LubanVillage_0695.jpg http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/Mel_sp_LubanVillage_0685.jpg

Chilatherina species (Upper Tor) – ~2 inches and producing viable eggs 2 pr/$80 3 groups available

We collected these on our third trip to Papua.  They get to about 4 inches and are very bright yellow.  Picture isn’t that great you’ll just have to trust me on this one, it’s really cool.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/Chil_sp_Upper_TorRiver_1301.jpg

Posters

Our poster $10 – Pictures of some but not all of the fish that we’ve collected in 4 trips to Papua.  I only have six of them left so if you want one holler!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/VERYsmallPoster.jpg

Gerry Allen’s poster – Rainbowfishes of Australia - $10 unsigned, $15 signed.  Get them before they are all gone!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/rainbowfishes/Posters/Allen_OzPoster_0955.jpg

If you want any of the fish above email me   (gwlange<at> sbcglobal<dot>net) right away.  I don’t always look at the PM’s so send an email.

Gary Lange

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

Don't forget the GSAS 'Members Only' meeting / potluck is on Sunday, March 9th. The regular GSAS meeting is on Tuesday, March 11th starts at 7:30PM; guests are welcome!

We have received word that Gary will be bringing Rainbowfish fry and eggs to both meetings. Not your everyday rainbow but species not commercially bred. This will be F1 and F2 from wild caught. I want the Melanotaenia sp Wapoga Red Laser.

-Roy  
<a href="http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_archive_item&fwrainbows1366505330" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_archive_item&fwrainbows1366505330</a>
fwrainbows1366505330.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hello cow. Those rainbows went from $200 to ending bid at $527. Just for 6. Wow.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi SiRWesDragon,

Yes, those were expensive! They were collected by Gary Lange in the Wapoga River in New Guinea, Indonesia and that was the first of that species ever offered anywhere in the world. AquaBid has some truly unique species sometimes! I believe that Gary is taking pre-orders for juvies of this species at $90 a pair and he will bring them with him to Seattle this weekend!

Seattle_Aquarist

Have you ever wanted to see an INTERNATIONALLY KNOWN FISH SPEAKER!!!

Then come to the meeting this Tuesday!!!

Gary Lange has been flown all over the WORLD TO SPEAK!!!!    He is one of the leading explorers, discoverers and experts on Rainbowfish!!!

The talks coming up will be truly superb, Gary is professional in all he does and he especially made the talk for Tuesday, because our club asked for it!

We are very unique in that last time Gary was here...he got the honorary speaker membership and he truly became a GSAS Member, so help us welcome Gary back to his second fish club home this SUNDAY at the members only meeting or on Tuesday at the general meeting.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

Those that attended the GSAS Members Only meeting this evening were treated to an excellent talk about Gary Lange's most recent trip to Papua and his collection of new Rainbowfish species.  We had a small auction at the end where some of Gary's rainbowfish eggs were auction off.

If you missed tonight's meeting Gary will be bringing more eggs to our Tuesday evening meeting....I hope you have a chance to attend.

I got my eggs yesterday evening and this evening I already have 12+ fry of Melanotaenia boesemani “Aytinjo” happily swimming around in my 10 gallon with probably 40 more eggs that still need to hatch.
Mel_boesemani_Aytinjo_5694.jpg

cichlid-gal

Seattle_Aquarist said:
I got my eggs yesterday evening and this evening I already have 12+ fry of Melanotaenia boesemani “Aytinjo” happily swimming around in my 10 gallon with probably 40 more eggs that still need to hatch.
Congrats Roy....they look to be a stunning species. So happy for you.

And Wes...as for the almost $600 for six fish...I just saw one (1), that's 1 betta sell on aquabid for $270 ... yikes...fish are getting expensive...especially beautiful and rare fish

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

If you were at GSAS last night you (and 85+ others) attended a great presentation; if not I'm sorry you missed it.  Not only was it a great talk but Gary brought nine vials of 'bow eggs for species that are not seen in the LFS or even on the 'bowfish forums which were auctioned to members and guests.

I got my eggs Saturday evening and this morning I already have 45+ fry of Melanotaenia boesemani “Aytinjo” happily swimming around in my 10 gallon with probably 10 more eggs that still need to hatch.
video for fry from yesterday; total fry now doubled

Melanotaenia boesemani “Aytinjo”

cichlid-gal

I'd have to share that this talk has probably been one of most favorite talks ever. Gary is a great speaker...humorous, engaging, and real. I loved this talk and really enjoyed the evening and the auction. Great work GSAS.

Betty

Staff member
I'm sorry I missed it. I haven't been to a meeting in a while and wanted to make it to this one.