**FREE Presentation** Freshwater Stingrays - GSAS

Seattle_Aquarist

jen%20panorama.jpg

Jennifer Reynolds hails from Vancouver BC, where she spent over a decade as a Senior Biologist at the Vancouver Aquarium. She has previously spoken to GSAS on her travels to the Rift Lakes of Africa and to the Amazon.

This time around she will be presenting Freshwater Stingrays in the Wild and in the Aquarium. Learn more about the natural history of South America's Neotropical Stingrays (Potamotrygonidae), and how it relates to keeping them in captivity. Jennifer discusses evolution, biology, captive husbandry (including tank sizes and dietary needs), and provides tips and tricks for dealing with picky or delicate rays, including newborn pups. The talk finishes with a case study of the rare successful reproduction of Tiger Stingrays (Potamotrygon tigrina) in her area at the Vancouver Aquarium.

The presentation will be Tuesday, February 10th, 2015 at 7:30 PM at Seattle Pacific University; Otto Miller Hall; Room 109; West Nickerson Street and 3rd Avenue West.

Doors will open about 6:30 PM for a 'social hour'; the meeting will start at 7:30 PM.

After the meeting please join us for our monthly auction and help to support the club that brings us all our these outstanding speakers.

Guests are welcome; no entrance fee

Family friendly but no childcare provided
Free parking, accessible building
No furry or feathered pets
Go to http://www.gsas.org/ for more information and directions

Key words: Tropical Fish Tank Fishtank Tanks Aquarium Aquariums CO2 Aquatic Plants Stingray Stingrays South America

Ali

Are there auctions of fish/plants after the meetings? Might be interested in checking that out, help to stock my tank.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Ali,

We typically have a monthly auction after all of the meetings except the Christmas / Holiday meeting. The monthly auctions average about 125 items and include fish, plants, tanks, and equipment.

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

Next Tuesday evening! I remember a large tank by the door at Aquarist's World in West Seattle where there was a pair of freshwater stingrays and every so often a newborn "pup" or two would be in there as well. I found it interesting that they were "livebearers" of sorts!

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi discus_2013,

It isn't really our call. It is up to the speaker if we can video the presentation and if so how we can distribute it.

discus_2013

Man I would love to be there it's just a 2 hr. Drive hahaha you guys always have fun stuff going on, what a great opportunity for the people going.

I don't know squat about stingrays, except maybe from dissecting one in college. This should be a most interesting experience!

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi shannon traylor,

At our January auction there were shrimp, plants, assorted fish - I picked up six (6) juvie Mikrogeophagus ramirezi (German Blue Rams) for $12. They are spawned and raised by a couple of GSAS members and are absolutely stunning.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv37956%3Enu%3D3369%3E787%3E264%3EWSNRCG%3D3748%3A%3B9%3B%3A3338nu0mrj

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

Tuesday night is just around the corner and Jennifer is one of the most knowledgeable individuals on this species....you do not want to miss this presentation.

Nick_87

If this does get filmed by any chance please let me know. I would be very interested in watching the presentation but am unable to make the meeting tonight. :(