*FREE Presentation* Fish Collecting in Peru @GSAS; January 9th

Seattle_Aquarist

*FREE Presentation* Fish Collecting in Peru hosted by Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) - Jan 9th

39339711631_55e3e019a3_o.jpg

The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) is pleased pleased to announce our January 9th GSAS speaker is our very own Dean Tweeddale. Dean has been a GSAS member since the 1980's. During his time as a member he was an early breeder of Discus as well as many Corydoras and Apistogramma species. Currently in his fish room he is breeding German Blue Rams, Angels, Discus, Corydoras, and "L-series" Ancistrus. He will be giving a talk on his trip last year to Amazon in Peru where he collected several fish species.

Dean writes:
I’ve been keeping fish in some form or other for about 53 years. I started with four common guppies that I had to keep in the toilet bowl for the first day and night. It was lucky we had a second bathroom in the house. They of course produced more guppies and by the time I was 13 I was trading or selling guppies back to the pet stores and had 7-10 tanks if you included the ones kept hidden from parental view under the stands. I joined GSAS in the early 80’s and shortly after created my first fishroom. Now a few fishrooms later I’m keeping about 50 tanks and have one weakness when it comes to keeping fish. You see I’m not just happy having a tank full of nice looking fish and looking at them. I must figure out how to condition them to spawn and reproduce. That is my fish keeping challenge. I couldn’t even begin to talk about the all fish that I’ve spawned, I probably have forgotten more of them that I can remember. But it has been just about everyone that I've set out to reproduce. The fish collecting trip to the Amazon was my first collecting trip and a lifelong dream.

The presentation, which is open to the public, will be Tuesday, January 9th, 2017 at 7:30 PM at Seattle Pacific University; Otto Miller Hall; Room 109; West Nickerson Street and 3rd Avenue West.

Doors will open about 6:30 PM for a 'social hour'; the meeting will start at 7:30 PM.

After the meeting, join us for our monthly auction and help to support the club that brings us all our these outstanding speakers.

Guests are welcome; no entrance fee

Family friendly but no childcare provided
Free parking, accessible building
No furry or feathered pets
Go to Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (https://www.gsas.org/) for more information and directions

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

The GSAS meeting is next Tuesday. Please come and support one of our own members doing a presentation on their collection trip to Amazon last summer. Hope to see you there!

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

Just a reminder that the GSAS Meeting is tomorrow evening. Every wanted to do fish collecting on the Amazon? Hear about the adventure one of our own GSAS members had.

Wonder what's coming up this spring at GSAS? Check out the schedule of upcoming talks especially May and June. The father of African cichlids, Ad Konings will speak in May. Mark it on your calendars!

In June, noted rainbowfish explorer/collector as well as breeder will be doing a new talk on his latest trip to Papua....don't miss it!