WTB Free or cheap Scud and/or daphnia

hyp3rcrav3

I'm looking for scud basically for the fun of them but I'm also looking for daphnia as a live food source for everybody, especially as I have fish mature to breed.

Don't want to spend much. Just want seed cultures. I once had scud. I also had daphnia and the starter culture was free from someone here. It lasted about three years in an outdoor tank but the heat wave killed it. I'm hoping I don't have to really spend money but low figures are acceptable. I am in North Seattle near Shoreline but I'll drive a few miles. I also go to Everett once or twice a month.

I also lost my white worms to heat when power failed. Any starter cultures nearby?

Whatever happened to the guy in Magnolia who sold scud and daphnia?

BPSabelhaus

I'm looking for scud basically for the fun of them but I'm also looking for daphnia as a live food source for everybody, especially as I have fish mature to breed.

Don't want to spend much. Just want seed cultures. I once had scud. I also had daphnia and the starter culture was free from someone here. It lasted about three years in an outdoor tank but the heat wave killed it. I'm hoping I don't have to really spend money but low figures are acceptable. I am in North Seattle near Shoreline but I'll drive a few miles. I also go to Everett once or twice a month.

I also lost my white worms to heat when power failed. Any starter cultures nearby?

Whatever happened to the guy in Magnolia who sold scud and daphnia?
My outdoor cultures are down now with the cold. Right now I do have a small daphnia and a small scud culture that I'm just practicing not killing lol But once the weather warms up, they should be pretty much everywhere. My cultures started from samples I took from my local nature park. Just pulled up a few handfuls of moss from the lake bottom and put that in jars. It seems our local scuds are blue in color too.

I'd just give you some, but right now what I have is basically a starter culture lol If you're still looking in a few months and I've managed to not crash the indoor ones lol hit me up.

hyp3rcrav3

My outdoor cultures are down now with the cold. Right now I do have a small daphnia and a small scud culture that I'm just practicing not killing lol But once the weather warms up, they should be pretty much everywhere. My cultures started from samples I took from my local nature park. Just pulled up a few handfuls of moss from the lake bottom and put that in jars. It seems our local scuds are blue in color too.

I'd just give you some, but right now what I have is basically a starter culture lol If you're still looking in a few months and I've managed to not crash the indoor ones lol hit me up.
I will do. Where are you located?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have vinegar eels. They are much easier to maintain than white worm. I think I have 6-7 wine/whiskey bottles mature at the moment. They need a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and tank water and a slice of apple. New slice every 6mo or so.

hyp3rcrav3

I have vinegar eels. They are much easier to maintain than white worm. I think I have 6-7 wine/whiskey bottles mature at the moment. They need a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and tank water and a slice of apple. New slice every 6mo or so.
I have vinegar eels as well. Walter Worms and Micro worms are the next size up. I may skip them and just hatch brine shrimp for that level of growth. White worms are larger and for adolescent and adult fish. They live in soil and are fed bread with a small amount of yogurt. I think they actually eat the yeast.

Last edited:

BPSabelhaus

1000008971.jpg

The big jar has been growing, a lot of little daphnia, springtails etc... so I split it off. I'll let you know when it starts growing and if I still have the lid lol

BPSabelhaus

That will be a fun trip. I'm north in Seattle near Shorleine. How are things looking?

Took a video just now after feeding this morning.

Has duckweed, snails, leaves and such in it. I find it keeps it more stable but I'm known for crashes from overfeeding lol it can all be strained out / removed though. I'm sure I'll split the big one again at some point and I have plenty of jars lol I'm mainly using it to learn and only occasionally feeding the tank next to it (like last night when they finally dropped fry for the first time) So no rush, I'll keep feeding it and growing. Whenever you're down this way.

BPSabelhaus

Gonna have to pause it for now. Killed off the babies and breeders. Used active yeast. Not sure if the old was active, or if ratio was off. Brought in some from the tubs outside which should kickstart things