Forum Rules on Illegal Plant and Animal Species (State and Federal laws)

Gryphon

earthfish said:
If you have Crayfish what do you do with them?
Boil 'em, saute 'em, broil 'em, bake 'em, toss 'em in a salad....

I'm sure we can find something to do with them :twisted: 

anderson_p_r

I'm more of a "oooh... that looks pretty, I'll take it." kinda plant shopper. I know terrible. Oh well. The shop I bought one plant from didn't have names with the plants, but they had a binder with pic/name associations. That being said I didn't ask and they didn't say. But I've seen a number of both plants I have available at multiple LFS.

If you didn't notice I'm not one to name names, but what are we to do? Obviously enforcement is lax, seems like the "responsible" thing to do is to be informed and honest fish keepers in an attempt to influence others and the hobby as a whole.

As a business owner I also wouldn't want to do harm to anyone's livelihood, but any business owner assumes certain risks. What are the penalties for a shop found distributing anything on the list?

pbmax

anderson_p_r said:
I'm more of a "oooh... that looks pretty, I'll take it." kinda plant shopper.  I know terrible.  Oh well.  The shop I bought one plant from didn't have names with the plants, but they had a binder with pic/name associations.  That being said I didn't ask and they didn't say.  But I've seen a number of both plants I have available at multiple LFS.  

If you didn't notice I'm not one to name names, but what are we to do?  Obviously enforcement is lax, seems like the "responsible" thing to do is to be informed and honest fish keepers in an attempt to influence others and the hobby as a whole.  

As a business owner I also wouldn't want to do harm to anyone's livelihood, but any business owner assumes certain risks.  What are the penalties for a shop found distributing anything on the list?
I would never name names either, and I didn't expect you to out a LFS for selling anything prohibited (petsmart / petco, well, that's a different story ;)). Enforcement is neither the goal of this forum nor this forum's job. I should have phrased my question differently; for that I apologize.

My interest is purely informational so that I can keep the commonly-found list up to date. That way FishBox members can be better informed about what is and isn't okay to discuss on here in the context of prohibited species commonly available for sale.

The plant was Hydrilla verticillata ?

Madness

Staff member
anderson_p_r said:
I'm more of a "oooh... that looks pretty, I'll take it." kinda plant shopper.  I know terrible.  Oh well.  The shop I bought one plant from didn't have names with the plants, but they had a binder with pic/name associations.  That being said I didn't ask and they didn't say.  But I've seen a number of both plants I have available at multiple LFS.  

If you didn't notice I'm not one to name names, but what are we to do?  Obviously enforcement is lax, seems like the "responsible" thing to do is to be informed and honest fish keepers in an attempt to influence others and the hobby as a whole.  

As a business owner I also wouldn't want to do harm to anyone's livelihood, but any business owner assumes certain risks.  What are the penalties for a shop found distributing anything on the list?
As patrons we can only trust that what we buy is legal.  The local stores are that ones the need to be on their toes regarding the laws.  As for your last question, check out this article.   http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Feds-Seattle-pet-shop-owner-illegally-trafficked-3821771.php

Thanks to this investigation, all stores in the Seattle area were under investigation.  Ask Kevin (the old owner of APFP) he was stressed for months while it was going on.  Old employees of APFP and other Seattle LFS, were investigated, along with several frequent shoppers.  

We cant help it if we are clueless to the restrictions, and we are able to buy at the LFS, but when we do know about the restrictions and we illegally seek out these species and purchase, now there is a big issue.  

So the point to this thread is to raise awareness to those that dont really have a clue that that fish they want to buy, is actually illegal.

pbmax

madness said:
We cant help it if we are clueless to the restrictions, and we are able to buy at the LFS, but when we do know about the restrictions and we illegally seek out these species and purchase, now there is a big issue.  

So the point to this thread is to raise awareness to those that dont really have a clue that that fish they want to buy, is actually illegal.
Precisely. :)

Lamental Jester

madness said:
As patrons we can only trust that what we buy is legal.  The local stores are that ones the need to be on their toes regarding the laws.  As for your last question, check out this article.   http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Feds-Seattle-pet-shop-owner-illegally-trafficked-3821771.php
Ah yes, QT, I remember this. Lol, Billy and I like to joke that the store is just a front for something.... sinister :suspect: 

Spyral

This is how we catch crays here in Kentucky!

5386_164225107083091_1191169624_n.jpg

Yes, they are legal to catch, eat, keep in an aquarium (etc) here. Just need a FWFL. We can also catch and keep native fishes (certain ones) like Darters.

9782_164224577083144_729651229_n.jpg

My club goes on collection trips often.

602330_164224190416516_1433196258_n.jpg

pbmax

I'm not a huge fan of many of the laws or the politics in WA, but it is what it is. You're lucky over there in Kentucky, at least from an aquaria perspective. :)

cichlid-gal

BillHN said:
Gryphon said:
earthfish said:
If you have Crayfish what do you do with them?
Boil 'em, saute 'em, broil 'em, bake 'em, toss 'em in a salad....

I'm sure we can find something to do with them :twisted: 
^

MAKES ME MISS NAWLINS
I lived in Gretna and Old Algiers...used to ride the Canal Street ferry to and from work each day. Great town with lots and lots of great food and music. Fond memories...and I miss NAWLINS too!!!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Spyral said:
madness said:
Ask Kevin (the old owner of APFP)
Wait, Kevin doesn't own APFP anymore?
Kevin sold off his portion of the business to his partner. The store is going through some changes... have not heard any updates for a while now. Sounds like they were not going to carry the more exotic stuff and streamline.

pbmax

I updated the first post today to add information on federal plant pest regulation covering Pomacea Canaliculata. This larger (evil) cousin to Pomacea Diffusa (mystery snail) is a fairly nasty critter that devours crops in florida and other similar locales. Importation and transport across state lines is prohibited without the appropriate permit (and good luck getting one).

Thanks for catching this one, Cory!