For a Shrimp Lover.

BillHN

I'd rather spend 8 bucks on a nice looking Glass bowl.
Then pick out some old manzanita branches, or seiryu stones (30 - 40)
And pat's special substrate (8$ 1 lb)

Sha blam I just spend under the 100$ that thing cost xD

Although that thing does look beautiful.
But I've seen some awesome walstad bowls that can look better and are a lot more economical :]

jettej

Agree but theres a cheaper one i saw around $60. I think Target online. But yeah i just find it something to share here. :)

Hmm i should walstad a bowl. since i can't set up any tanks yet...

anderson_p_r

I've got a little bowl I'll be making into a mineralized soil tank. It'll be about a half gallon of actual water. There will be pics. I need a lamp though, like an architect lamp, but I'm not about to spend $50+ on one.

A

Anonymous

Anderson_p_r. Cant wait for your pics. Might copy you depending on how it looks and maintenance.

There was a controversy about these eco-spheres, something about how it's cruel putting these shrimp in the spheres because it's basically slowly killing them, regardless of how robust these shrimp are (They're practically the most robust shrimp out there)

I believe the shrimp in these eco-spheres are Hawaiian Opae Ula shrimp (aka the Super Shrimp) because they will literally live amongst the harshest of conditions, which is why they can "live" inside these eco-spheres. (ref: http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.php)

Definitely NOT worth spending the money for these things =\
Kinda reminds me of how land hermit crabs are sold in petstores and mall kiosks with painted shells. It's cruel to hermit crabs...Whatever people do to just earn a quick buck. etc.

nick_76

the hermit crab fad..at least I hope its over, im not a mall person...reminds me sadly of the bettas plight....they've got it worse in those tiny cups theyre kept in, or the trendy looking little box aquariums that hold maybe a half gallon of water and bear no resemblance to a fishes real habitat..thats as much if not more a life of boredom and misery...

the shrimp globes look cool but eventually everything dies and u have an expensive useless glass ball of decaying crud...far cheaper and nicer to make something like the center of your+LJs shrimp blood feud...

jettej

I agree with Poke that its not worth spending the fact that now I realized it will be not a shrimp keeping hobby but just a living ornament/convo piece killing a group of shrimp slowly. :( okay back to reality. I just need to move and set up mu y 15 Column tank. i decided that it will be a shrimp, plants and juvenile show guppies that will become adults in the future..set up.

Do you agree with my plan Poke?

I own about 15 land hermit crabs, and I was a victim of those darned painted shells at the time (obviously I didn't know any better at the time)... my first hermit crab didn't have a painted shell though, thank goodness, but it was still a purchase from a store that DID sell hermit crabs with painted shells. Blech.

After that, I did my research, and I fell into a hermit crabdiction, only buying land hermit crabs with natural shells, and I fell inlove with all of them (still do!) It's amazing that I still have these little guys, in a 55 gallon tank. It's kinda fun watching them scurrying around the tank and hanging out...lol. I've gotten to know them well enough that I try to convince people that if they are going to have land hermit crabs as pets, that they should never buy ones with painted shells. Since they will switch shells eventually, as they grow.

And yes, those bettas in the cups are just... not. cool. I wish there was a better way of selling bettas, unfortunately most companies just don't care about the health of the fish, and only care about selling them ASAP. So sad.

And LOL... our feud has been subdued I think, since I'm cleaaaaarly the winner ;-) LOL
But yes, it's definitely much better to keep the shrimp in an environment that closely resembles their natural habitat. :D

jettej: Definitely get that 15 gallon set up! We'd love to see progress pictures/videos while you're at it! :D

I'll just...leave these here... for some inspiration. lol
[flash=800,600]http://www.youtube.com/v/F-1h7YSDYos[/flash] [flash=800,600]http://www.youtube.com/v/7XuXzudPdSU[/flash][flash=800,600]http://www.youtube.com/v/kIxy2V6xyPQ" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

jettej

I already have it. Just waiting to move out of our rented home And move in the new crib. That'll be the first tank that i will set up so it cycles asap :) cannot see the pic ATM ill check it out from my comp. Later. Thanks!!

jettej

nick_76 said:
if u already have other tanks that are up and running you can pretty much do a 1 day cycle
i would but All tanks that are running are small. :( I have no big tanks running atm to fill my 15 gal :(

nick_76

doesnt take much...especially if youre running a low bioload. in my 90, i had my cleaner team in the tank the first night, duscus moved the second night....and then only because i finished up late at night and didnt want to pop open my mature filters in middle of the night to transplant filter material...i did that the next afternoon when i came home

my cycling consisted of a mature aquaclear 110 i think....1 cup of sintered glass beads, foam and fish crap from inside one of my eheims, and 25 gallons of water from the 75 gal tank