Fluval 406 is leaking at the AquaStop

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I've checked everything that folks mention on YouTube; gaskets, the seal when you clamp it down, etc. My 406 is leaking from the AquaStop. I've ordered a new one --- not sure what else to do --- it's not that old. The bioload is not heavy at all. My hoses are NOT exactly like they prescribe in their set up literature. I do have a dip in the hoseline on both intake and outtake. Is that the problem? The set up guide that comes with this thing says that the hoses should be very DIRECT -- no dips, loops, etc.

Again, I've bought a new AquaStop valve thingy on Amazon.

Could my hose config be the problem?

WTF?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
OK. I solved the leaking problem -- although I'm not sure how. I just took it apart and put it back together five hundred times. It still won't prime and sounds like a box of rocks when turned on. Gosh. I've gone through this thing over and over and over....I cannot figure it out. I've only had it a couple of years. It looks brand new.
*scream*

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
and because I am clearly talking to myself in the vacuousness of the inter webs, I shall provide an update.

The Fluval 406 is STILL not operational. It appears that this issue happens with startling regularity. I plan on calling Fluval in the morning. In the meantime, I got two Aquean HOBs --- one 20, one 30 -- which I can always use elsewhere and they're doing the job for now. I almost think they are doing a BETTER JOB than the Fluval 406.... hmm.

I shall call FLUVAL in the morning at job #1 and see what THEY think.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Been there; done that. The Fluval AquaStop seems to be the weak link in all their filters. You can fuss with calling them- and they will send you a new one- and it will fail a few months later, just like the original. I gave up, and went with a (cheaper) different brand. Just my opinion...

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Been there; done that. The Fluval AquaStop seems to be the weak link in all their filters. You can fuss with calling them- and they will send you a new one- and it will fail a few months later, just like the original. I gave up, and went with a (cheaper) different brand. Just my opinion...

Really? GOOD TO KNOW. I have yet to call Fluval -- but will -- my day job has been NUTS lately. I already bought a new AquaStop valve --- it's on it's way from Amazon. I've heard via forums and such that Fluval customer service is top notch. We shall see. I've not had one issue with this filter and I had a 306 before this one that I got second hand and wasn't in the greatest shape when I got it -- so I got the larger model.

For now, the valve is fine -- it's just making that crazy rocks in a tumbler sound and won't prime. My guess -- and my ONLY GUESS at this point (as I have taken it apart four times) is that it's the ceramic (?) thing that the impeller rests on. I've never once opened that hatch and cleaned it out -- but I did with this fail - to try to figure it out. It wasn't gunked up or nothing. I do weekly water changes and stock reasonably. My filters don't have to work that hard. It's ridicules for this thing to fail after less than a YEAR.

Maybe it's time to get a SUN SUN and call it good. UGH.

FishBeast

@VickiK Sorry to hear that! It may be that having a little dip in the hoses can cause enough deviation of how the valve assembly is seated to cause leaking. Can you trim the hoses ever so slightly so that they are as “direct” as possible? How bad is the leak?

clownie

I would but the bullet and get a ehiem. I have run those things for eons without fail. Matter of fact I sold them when I changed systems.
Currently, I run a sump on my upstairs tank and all air driven in the fish room.

julzhull

We just had this problem with our 306 and had to repurchase that valve. I didn't realize it was a common issue.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
We just had this problem with our 306 and had to repurchase that valve. I didn't realize it was a common issue.
Yup, and there's no easy fix except buying a new valve, and as you know, they're not cheap. Personally, I am done with Fluval.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
@VickiK Sorry to hear that! It may be that having a little dip in the hoses can cause enough deviation of how the valve assembly is seated to cause leaking. Can you trim the hoses ever so slightly so that they are as “direct” as possible? How bad is the leak?

Well I fixed the leak -- somehow. Not sure how but it's not leaking at the AquaStop anymore --- but it still sounds like a box of rocks and NOT pumping water. It has to be the ceramic thing that the impeller sits on. It has to be. It's not even gunked up in there -- at ALL. I mean seriously, when I cleaned this thing, I didn't really even need to clean it -- but I'm a nut about water quality.....ugh. I will replace the AquaStop -- I bought one and it's here now - but I cannot imagine that this is the reason for the rocks grinding noise. It doesn't make sense to me. There's not that many moving parts in this stupid thing.

And for the record, FLUVAL -- or Hagen brand - customer service BLOWS CHUNKS. I called them three times and each time the operator said, "I can't hear you. You'll have to call back." CLICK. That's it. Three times. I called a fourth time and it put me into a waiting cue that lasted FOREVER. I'm at work. A customer came in; I finally had to hang up.

SO ANNOYING.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

I did trim them. In order to get into the cabinet AND for me to get at it to clean it, I have to have a little slack -- but there isn't much, let me tell you. Plus - why would it have worked wonderfully since I bought it last spring -- and have cleaned it out a few times without trouble. I really clean my filters more than necessary, probably.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
The Aqua Stop Valves aren't leaking --- that's no longer the issue. The issue is that it sounds like a box of rocks when I fire it up and there is NO WATER MOVEMENT in or out.

Update - took it apart completely - dried out everything, cleaned everything again - checked the items most talked about in forums on this topic. In my opinion, there are WAY TOO MANY posts, videos, etc about problems with Fluval 406 canister filters. Way too many. If it air that is making the impeller move around wildly, then folks say to check the following:
  • Gasket on impeller cover - like new here. Some folks say to smear Vaseline on there - but mine is as tight as a tiger. It's not easy to snap that thing in there.
  • Ceramic thing that the impeller is on -- not broken.
  • Clean impeller really snaps in there via the magnet. No damaged "fins" on it. what's the name for that? I dunno.
  • Seal at the lid level - if the top doesn't securely sit on the bottom part of the canister, that's a problem that some folks have fixed with a tiny chunk of clear tubing at the clamp. That does not seem to be part of my problem. It is said that if your lid is a bit difficult to get off -- it's good. The seal is working. Mine is.
  • Canister well below the aquarium --- no problem, Mine is UNDER it.
  • Intake / outtake hoses -- no kinks, loops or extra hose -- I shortened mine. There wasn't much of a dip in my hoses but in order to get it out of the cabinet to work on it, there has to be SOME play. The shortening of hoses didn't impact the problem.
  • Took the entire thing apart and put it back together, taking care to note every junction where air could come in and checked it carefully.

The two HOBs I threw onto it in desperation are doing a pretty good job -- but they're these Aquaeon things with the cartridge and that's just not optimum.

Thanks for letting me vent.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The two HOBs I threw onto it in desperation are doing a pretty good job -- but they're these Aquaeon things with the cartridge and that's just not optimum.

My favorite HOB is the AquaClear 110. I've got quite a few of these in my fish room, and they've been running flawlessly for years. Efficient, quiet, easy-to-clean, and flexible enough to handle just about any kind of media; what's not to like?

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
My favorite HOB is the AquaClear 110. I've got quite a few of these in my fish room, and they've been running flawlessly for years. Efficient, quiet, easy-to-clean, and flexible enough to handle just about any kind of media; what's not to like?

I believe I have one of those in the koi angel, african leaf fish, dano tank in the living room. I put a new aqua clear 50 on the 20 long when TWO practically NEW Fluval C2 filters went teats up, one right after the other.

Circle slash @ Fluval

VElderton

I agree with much of what has been posted already ... big fan of HOB / AC filters as mentioned above and only the SeaChem Tidals come close but they don't have the same media capacity.

However, saying that I do have some Fluval cannister filters too. For the most part they have run for years with little or no issues. Maybe that is why ... they were better built when they were the "04" series. But I have one older 304 with an air intrusion issue that I can't figure out? Right beside it I have another one - same vintage that works flawlessly, has done so for years - go figure?

Regarding customer service though ... I have had outstanding help from Marineland on their cannister filters. (NB: I don't think their HOB design is as good as AC or Tidal, their capacity is small & cartridge system expensive) On a couple of occassions I have called them with an issue about one of their canister fiters and they either came up with a solution and sent me the part or sent me a brand-new unit, no questions asked. Needless to say any new cannister filters I buy will be Marineland ... too bad they don't make something the capacity of FX 5 or 6.

Over the last year though I have become sold on Poret Foam corner filters ... I build them into any tank over 50 G and run them on JetLifters and submersible pumps, it's like an internal sump. I have found these to be a great improvement to my fish keeping.

Last edited:

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I agree with much of what has been posted already ... big fan of HOB / AC filters as mentioned above and only the SeaChem Tidals come close but they don't have the same media capacity.

However, saying that I do have some Fluval cannister filters too. For the most part they have run for years with little or no issues. Maybe that is why ... they were better built when they were the "04" series. But I have one older 304 with an air intrusion issue that I can't figure out? Right beside it I have another one - same vintage that works flawlessly, has done so for years - go figure?

Regarding customer service though ... I have had outstanding help from Marineland on their cannister filters. (NB: I don't think their HOB design is as good as AC or Tidal, their capacity is small & cartridge system expensive) On a couple of occassions I have called them with an issue about one of their canister fiters and they either came up with a solution and sent me the part or sent me a brand-new unit, no questions asked. Needless to say any new cannister filters I buy will be Marineland ... too bad they don't make something the capacity of FX 5 or 6.

Over the last year though I have become sold on Poret Foam corner filters ... I build them into any tank over 50 G and run them on JetLifters and submersible pumps, it's like an internal sump. I have found these to be a great improvement to my fish keeping.

Awesome info. Thanks for posting!

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I finally did get ahold of Fluval customer service. She was delightful. Very nice. Knowledgeable. We went through the same check list that is in the manual and she suggests that my micro bubble thing is having an impact on this. (???) I agreed to fire the whole thing back up --- AGAIN --- without the bubblator working. We shall see. I'm so annoyed that I drained it, dried it out and considered chuckin' the whole thing......

VElderton

At least you got a real person on the end of your call and they sounded helpful. What's a micro bubble-thing? Could you snap a picture?

Good luck with the fix

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
At least you got a real person on the end of your call and they sounded helpful. What's a micro bubble-thing? Could you snap a picture?

Good luck with the fix

Sure. I'll take a pic. It's just a very large airstone that claims to put out teeny tiny bubbles -- which it does. It hasn't --- for the record -- had any effect on the 406 to now. So...there's that.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
There's the micro bubble airstone. The second pic is my blue and purple betta Romeo, doing a photobomb on the bubbleator photo shoot. Man, he LOVES the camera -- or any attention, actually. I hand feed him. lol He's spoiled. :)

bubbleator.jpg Bubbleator - Photo Bomb with Romeo.jpg