Flush your water heaters!

fishman09

i like doing multiple large changes in excess of 50% weekly on all my tanks and a couple small changes like 10%. if i used cold water on the big changes the temp would drop like 20 degrees so i always fill will water just slightly lower in temp to the tank not to kill. never do i fill with water warm to the touch. this is the reason i need to install the drip system so ill never have to worry about larger changes on my tanks or dechlorinator just get a new gallon of water every hour 24/7.

larry.beck

I do realize that water heaters can be the cause of heavy metal deposits in the water, but it's not an all-or-nothing thing. My water heaters are 4 months old. And yes, I actually did have a water test done - 2 actually, 1 with hot and the other with cold, so that I could tell the difference. At this point it's very little. Hence my interest in keeping junk from building up in the units. :)

I do run a recirculating pump so the water is moving through my pipes and water heaters constantly. Not terribly efficient, but I wanted hot water at the tap at all times.

sandnuka

Madness fish breed like crazy! I would put my money on the frequent temp change.... It just makes sence, fresh rain water filling the lake gets them wanting to procreate.... I wish we could setup a controlled experiment to find out...

Im pretty sure larrybecks fish breed insane amount as well...... hmm.... but the species are too different to compare.... well larry, I will soon be keeping mbunas, and I will make note every spawning session, and see if the cold water makes a difference... Im willing to bet on this one! :)

larry.beck

My observation is that fresh water (with salts) does in fact promote significant spawning activity. But my water isn't cold. LOL I think that varies by fish though.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
After a ton of research on water heaters this weekend, I think mine failed way before its time. Part of the problem may be the way it was plumbed. On our inlet to the water heater it has a pressure tank installed and it was done in galvanized steel pipe. This mix with the copper and not using the proper dielectric materials caused the anode rod to dissolve and then start attacking the water heater itself. This time around I replace the galvanized stuff with brass so hopefully no shortened lifespan. I also went with a 12yr model with two anode rods and I have a schedule planned out to flush it once a a year now.

pbmax

I "flushed" my water heater during the last power outage to get water for flushing toilets. I didn't notice any sediment when draining it from the bottom. Doesn't mean there wasn't any, but there wasn't enough to for me to notice

I do 50+% water changes in half my tanks every other week. I use hot water to temp-match when I do so. While I'm sure there is some increase in metals and contaminates due to the effect warmer water has on the house pipes and the water heater, I don't buy it being that substantial, at least in my case. If it were, I think I'd have far more problems with my fish and plants than I do. I also don't use any water treatment at all.

Granted, my oldest tank is only 2.5 years old, but it's thriving without any major renovations - fish (rasboras), inverts (snails, shrimp, crays), and plants.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I put a white terry cloth over the hose output of the heater as I drained it. It was rust red when I was finished! :affraid:

So you may not have seen it but you probably had some trace amounts in there.

I know most people mix warm water when they refill so thats why I reminded everyone to flush those heaters! I know madness does the cold water fill ups but he does not do the 50% at a time changes most of the time.

pbmax

I think I'll try that with the cloth sometime soon and see how it does. Couldn't hurt anything, cept maybe my fingers if I leave them in the water too long :) Mine is set to about 135F.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
pbmax said:
I think I'll try that with the cloth sometime soon and see how it does. Couldn't hurt anything, cept maybe my fingers if I leave them in the water too long :) Mine is set to about 135F.
I used a zip tie to hold the cloth in place.

pbmax

What fun is that? I was figuring I'd leave the incoming line on, hold the cloth on with my hands, and let hi-jinks ensue. :D

sandnuka

Ok, honestly, I dont know if using hot/warm water would harm fish.... I have never researched it.... My water always looks more clear cold.... but that isnt even the main reason..... Ive said this in many many threads/posts, I try to mimic the fish I keep environment. lake tanganyika is filled with rocks and sand, so I do the same... Not only do I try to match what the water in the lake is like, and the environment in the lake... but I try to do the natural stuff too.... For example lake tanganyika has very strong current, (I use a 1500GPH Pump in my 110gal tank) There is a heck of a current in it..lol.... Rain coming from the sky, and water from the rivers is COLD, so I really think doin my water changes more frequently with cold water, vs less frequant large water change and warm/hot water is more natural....

So, If your using warm water... it hasnt killed your fish.... they breed fine..... and everything is going great.... then keep it up..... Nothing will probably happen to your fish if it already hasnt... but, whats does it hurt to try the cold water??? maybe your fish will like it! :)

pbmax

Yup, I 100% agree. More frequent yet smaller changes are definitely best and undoubtedly more natural. I suppose the biggest issue for me with water changes is uncoiling the water changer, hooking it up, then coiling it back up and putting it away... I wonder how long it would take me to do 25% changes every week in all my tanks instead of 50% every other week, since I have the water changer out every weekend anyway. One big downside is that the water that comes out of my tap is at about 45F - a bit cool.

I did test my hot water for copper a while back and it came clean.