Fish Diseased?

CrazedAce

So I just finished moving and setting up all the fish tanks yesterday. Well there are a few fish that I am concerned about.

First, my porthole cat named Francis. He's been with me since the start of my first 30gal about a year ago. Well there are a couple markings I am worried may be some sort of disease. The picture below shows a white dot just above his mouth, something that was never there until after the move. He also has a red marking right where his left fin comes out, it has become more noticeable over the month or two he has had it.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3870432338BDDBC9!196&authkey=!AB7eFYmFBU-hF0E

The next picture is of my gourami fry I raised. I had 5 of them in a 10gal before we moved, but only 3 survived, and they all appear to have a black dot or dots on the top of their head. As you can see, they aren't lumps, just coloring. This is the first time I've seen this.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3870432338BDDBC9!198&authkey=!AEN4IhRwqmgVATk

A couple of my betta fry have similar markings on their head, though the coloring of it matches their body markings.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3870432338BDDBC9!197&authkey=!AHBkr772rD5pszE

Does anyone have any idea what these are from? Could they be from stress? I've added melafix to the tank, but I'm not sure what else to do. I can pull the bettas and gouramis out and treat them with salt, but what about the porthole? He's my favorite fish, and I really don't want to break up his family. :(

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Almost looks like a water issue .... I once made the mistake of adding water to my classroom tank that had chemicals in it for cleaning the floors..... My big catfish ended up with some chemical burns, but he survived once I gave him some good high quality fish water free from chemicals .....

For those of your wondering how this happened, the janitor added the chemicals to my bucket of water when I went back to my classroom to open the door.....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The gourami really doesn't look that bad, the beta looks like the chemical burn around his gills and the catfish also concerns me.   Have you checked to see if the water is the same as your last place?   Maybe there is chlorine in the water now, or something else that's stressing the fish out.... I'd also check to see if you have ammonia in the tank

CrazedAce

I don't have a master test kit, only ph. The bettas have had the spots on their heads since they started showing color, so I'm not too sure why it would be an issue, but it does appear to have moved from betta to gourami. Is there any other way to test my water rather than shelling out $60-$100? I really don't have money for that sort of thing right now.

KaraWolf

Most fish stores will test your water for free, just ask them to give you the exact reading rather then saying something basic. Also the Freshwater Master Test kit from API which is what I use, is under 25 bucks online and under 40 in stores. The strips are initially cheaper but they only do like 25 tests per bottle while the liquids is 5x that