Fish Depression Is Not a Joke

Loren

I care about my fish a lot but not enough to rearrange all of my 10 aquariums constantly to provide them with more stimulation.

Kriskm

Interesting. Depressed fish probably aren’t much fun to watch. I wonder what it would take to add some novelty to a tank, short of rearranging everything. May be as simple as rotating through a couple of different fake plants each week.

FishBeast

Interesting. Depressed fish probably aren’t much fun to watch. I wonder what it would take to add some novelty to a tank, short of rearranging everything. May be as simple as rotating through a couple of different fake plants each week.
I'm thinking we could administer zoloft in some water at 50 ppm with each water change... ;)

WhoKnows

That was the biggest load of psychobabble I've ever seen. It was from the New York Times which explains a lot. The vast majority of any fish ailments, including lethargy, are directly related to water quality. Having a bunch of "scientists" sticking their lower jaws out and blabbering about the mental state of tropical fish is a joke.

How many times have you seen someone say, "My water parameters are perfect, but my fish are dying." No, your water parameters are not perfect, so don't blow off the possibility when it's a 90% that's exactly what your problem is.

I did get a huge chuckle out the scientist who put drugs in the water and then waxed eloquent about the psychological effects of the "depression" medication when the fish started acting like it was on drugs.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
That was the biggest load of psychobabble I've ever seen. It was from the New York Times which explains a lot. The vast majority of any fish ailments, including lethargy, are directly related to water quality. Having a bunch of "scientists" sticking their lower jaws out and blabbering about the mental state of tropical fish is a joke.

How many times have you seen someone say, "My water parameters are perfect, but my fish are dying." No, your water parameters are not perfect, so don't blow off the possibility when it's a 90% that's exactly what your problem is.

I did get a huge chuckle out the scientist who put drugs in the water and then waxed eloquent about the psychological effects of the "depression" medication when the fish started acting like it was on drugs.

Hee hee! Great comments!